Needed: Gentler Trails for Those Growing Old

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JBenz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Needed: Gentler Trails for Those Growing Old

Post by JBenz »

At 64, my knees are giving out for the long rock hopping treks I enjoy. However, I have been able to extend my experience by spending money to reduce back pack weight. I figure I only have another 6 years to keep pushing and what the heck its only money. My current 5 day cross country (river canyon rock hopping) solo is 27 lbs and 5 day duo is 23 lbs. Also, a big factor is distributing the tension on critical joints by taping/wrapping. I wear Ace knee support and do daily knee exercise.
Point being... look at other options. Shoes and insert are critical. Go see a good physical therapist or better yet someone specializing in active release therapy.

That said. I agree that the less elevation you have to deal with the better. Look at the desert (Death Valley).

Rivers in high Sierra. Check out the reservoirs/dams. Elevation gain is zero around them. Salt Springs reservoir to Blue Hole on the Mokelumne is six miles to great camping on the river with almost no people. In the same area look at Bear Reservoir, upper Bear reservoir, and Silver lake. Further south is Hetch-Hetche.

Wonderful day hikes are available through your local Land Trust. I really recommend getting involved with them.

Keep on pushing. Unk.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi JBenz,

Welcome to HST! Hope you post and share a TR of one of your adventures to the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Hi JBenz,

I appreciate the advice. I did invest in an entire new set of ultralight and super-ultralight gear, which has made a great difference for me. On one trip this summer, it was my daughter's knees that started hurting and I carried my pack on my back and hers on my chest from Gilmore down to Glen Alpine Spring.

It is my wife's knees that are in really bad shape. She has had injuries to both of them, has gone through surgery, series of cortisone injections, physical therapy, etc. She loves hiking, but the pain and swelling that follow have pretty much made her have to hang up her boots for anything more than a half-mile on completely flat ground. We did walk a half-mile on Pismo Beach this week.

I am fortunate that my knees are still in pretty good shape. Off trail is not as easy as it used to be and that rock hopping you mentioned isn't either. My lower back and stiff joints tend to be the biggest challenge. It takes me forever to get out of the bag in the morning and do enough stretching to get my boots on. When I finally get walking is when the pain goes away. Things hurt more sitting around than when moving!

I am also fortunate to have some dear friends with whom to hike. We did do Salt Spring Reservoir to Blue Hole (and back) on a day hike/fishing trip this spring. There are some big trout just above the inlet to the reservoir. (One guy on the other side got a strike on his first cast, fought the fish for 15 minutes, then pulled out a 22 inch rainbow!) We also saw rattlers on the way along the reservoir.

Interesting you mention the desert. We hope to retire in about 4 more years. We just bought a tiny 4 wheel drive off-road motorhome that can take fire service roads easily and even some of the not-so-difficult jeep roads. This way we can at least get to a few semi-remote mountain lakes to camp. We will also take it to Death Valley and other places in the late winter/early spring when the wild flowers bloom.

Thank you again for your post. It encourages me to see and read about others who continue to hike as the years roll by. I am always inspired by WanderingDaisy's prosaic trip reports. Welcome to High Sierra Topix; I look forward to reading more about your own adventures here in the future.

Tom
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Consider following the progression of Ray Jardine as he faced gravity and advancing age. Early in adulthood he was a climber of vertical peaks. In late middle age he was a thru hiker over rolling terrain. Later he became a kayaker at sea level, and finally he skydived. He went from fighting gravity head on to completely submitting to gravitational forces. He's no dummy. :lol:
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

LLV at Rock Creek would be number one. Easy walking, great fishing, and great fishing(lakes and streams).

Texan