Mt Sill (14,153') - 5 day trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

Snow Nymph, I'm wondering the same thing--how long did it take you to get to the summit and back from your camp? :)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Skibum, we camped on the other side of Potlock Pass, just north of the 2 tarns. I think there's a photo of where we camp circled. There was a good source of water a short walk away.

I always hate to post times, because not everyone hikes the same (and we're slow). When I looked at the summitpost report, langenbacher did the round trip in 6 hrs (we camped about the same place). Snwburd dayclimbed from Big Pine in 6:10 to the summit. When I hike with SnowDude we're never in a hurry to get anywhere. It took us 6 hrs to summit, 2 hrs enjoying the views (don't know where the time went), and 3.5 hrs down. So I've learned that I can't expect to do a hike that someone else does in the same time, and you probably don't want to go by our times.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Timberline »

Snowy and Snow Dude! Thanks for the great pix and trip report. Made me feel nostalgic for that area. Last time I was there was late July in '78 when four of us attempted Mt Sill, but got blown off the peak by high winds and low temps and fear of hypothermia - - stupidly, we weren't dressed right at all for the altitude and conditions. Only made it to the base of the headwall below Sill. We had much less snow then, but there was still floating ice in Barret Lake. A spendid trip nevertheless with many fond memories, and I was thrilled to see that area again from your perspective. Thanks again.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kerstin »

Thank you, Snow Nymph. I was just curious because I had absolutely no idea how long it would take. Would it take one hour or seven hours to the summit? Now I have a rough idea.
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Thanks SN! My hiking partner could not get enough time off to get to the east side, so Sill was out. :\ we ended up staying on the west side and climbed Sawtooth out of Mineral king. Got snowed on about two inches on the summit. it was great! :D look forward to the end of Oct trip. :nod:
wingding

Post by wingding »

Snow Nymph - You are not slow - those other people are just abnormally fast.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks Timberline! I would do that trip again, maybe try Polemonium or some of the other peaks. Graham did the traverse from Sill to Polemonium and found a buck's head! http://grahamcracker.myphotoalbum.com/v ... d=P1010536
How cool is that!

Kerstin, its a fun trip, I just thought we would get there sooner than we did. Somehow, time just flew! Not sure where it went.

Skibum, see you there! It'll be fun!

Wingding, they're not human either! :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;