2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by BrianF »

To point out the obvious: It is a good opportunity to set up some shuttle trips, with vehicles at multiple trail heads. Kearsarge to Whitney portal comes to mind as well as al the the others Maverick mentioned.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Whoops! looks like Saprky and I are thinking along the same lines
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, car shuttles, and swaps will make for some great trips. :)
Good to read your on board Sparky!
Not looking for firm commitments from everyone, just putting out feelers on
interest.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Looks like a great idea Mav; it would be nice to meet up with other HST members. Please count me in.
chrisdiercks
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by chrisdiercks »

I have no problem meeting up with new people. In fact, if I could pull it off I'd look forward to it. If this was to happen, I would make a strong attempt to stop by for a day or so and meet with some kindred spirits.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I would love to do this. As Derek indicated, I too was bummed not to run into any HST members on our JMT trip (And I'm pretty social and inquiring). Great idea Mav!!!

Ladd
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I might be interested....would make a loop out of it from the westside...love that area!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Like the idea in theory. In practice, meeting somewhere that's at least 2 days' hike in makes it a pretty significant time commitment, and the eastside entry makes it tougher for westsiders. So I'll keep it in mind, but I'm not sure if it'll work out for me.

(Sounds like the location is set, but just to throw this out there: what about a location that's accessible both from the east and west--something like, say, Second Recess or Laurel or Hopkins basin, or maybe East Lake?)
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

TehipiteTom wrote:Like the idea in theory. In practice, meeting somewhere that's at least 2 days' hike in makes it a pretty significant time commitment, and the eastside entry makes it tougher for westsiders. So I'll keep it in mind, but I'm not sure if it'll work out for me.

(Sounds like the location is set, but just to throw this out there: what about a location that's accessible both from the east and west--something like, say, Second Recess or Laurel or Hopkins basin, or maybe East Lake?)
In the past on this and other boards, getting people together from such dispersed areas of the large state of California on a group backpack has always been difficult. Not only are distances to trailheads considerable but many of us are m-f 8-5 working people that each year have limited time off with various levels of flexibility of when we can do so. Additionally there have been more than a few cases where a meetup was set only to see it disintegrate one person at a time over months. My own tendency like Tom would be to make logistics simpler and a trip shorter. Although Maverick has put forward a fine idea, its probably something community group discussion ought to kick around and get consensus on. And in fact may consider setting up a couple trips.

From the south SF Bay Area, Independence is 360 to 425 miles over 7 to 8 hours of driving. Thus gas costs alone over $100. Not only is the upper Kern Plateau 2 days in from the East and 4 days from the West, but the vertical effort to get over the crest is notoriously strenuous. Not as serious an effort for the modest numbers of members on the board that are ultralight enthusiasts but a serious impediment to those carrying even average pack loads.

TH code quota reserved walk-up
----------------------------------------
Shepherd Pass J32 15 9 6
Kearsarge - Onion Valley J31 60 36 24
Whitney J36 100

Another issue is the quota for the obvious trailhead Shepherd is rather small, 15 with 9 reserved and 6 walk-up. Whitney is simply a PITA we can dismiss, while OV could work for those that have the time for a 3 day approach.

I like Tom's suggestion of Laurel Creek/Grinnel although Wrights Lake arguably has more to offer for a longer 7 to 9 day trip. Although Grinnel is 2 days from the East for those carrying average loads, it is far less strenuous topping the 2k over Mono Pass then 2k up the creek than the than 6.5k over Shepherd then 800 feet to get back up on the return. Even easier, from the west Grinnel is just 3.5k going in with mostly just downhill on the return. At Grinnel for those coming in from the west one also has the option of dropping over into Rosy Finch and the North Fork of Mono Creek, on the return that adds some significant fishing interest of "nice" fish. Grinnel would work well as a 2 day approach with 1 day long exit. Thus could work as a shorter 5 or 6 day group meetup trip. With the shorter trip length, it is easier to set up a starting date on a weekday that ends on the weekend, thus the chance of reserving permits is more likely. With trips requiring a full 7 to 9 days, one is instead likely to start a trip on a Saturday in order to reduce the overall number of vacation days taken by bridging two weekends. Quotas:

Mono Pass - Rock Creek J8 20 12 8
Mono Pass - Edison Reservoir xx 30 18 12

The above shows quotas coming in from Edison have a lot of spots.
chrisdiercks
Topix Acquainted

Post by chrisdiercks »

I realize I am not much of a presence here, but let me make a couple points if I may. As pointed out elsewhere on this site, the only potential hitch are trailhead quotas if we all leave in groups on the same day. I read something a little more flexible in Maverick's first post. One or more meeting spots (ones that could handle the estimated crowd for a day or two) along the trek route that would be scheduled for particular dates so that others could do completely different routes with a variety of time frames and one or more crossover points in space and time in common. Granted, this could get a touch complicated, but we are all responsible adults here...I am sure something could be worked out. Myself? I would try to combine these locations into some partial x-country route.