Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by Satsuma »

bitingspider,

what's in your picture is such a waste of gas! And somebody needs to carry all this extra gas canisters! I even changes our food choices to avoid long cooking grains. Usually we cook buckwheat in backpacking trips only in low altitudes, on fires. On gas stove we cook rice noodles, instant rice and so on, not real grains.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

you say it's a waste of gas like that's a bad thing.. some of those cans last a long time, regardless of how you use them. As you do, we also plan our cooking and gas usage. Some of us have to because we're always above 10k.

Just get over the fire thing.. An extra can or fuel bottle is never a bad thing. Heck, I could cook on 151 if i had some left over on the last day. :)
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

rlown wrote:you say it's a waste of gas like that's a bad thing.. some of those cans last a long time, regardless of how you use them. As you do, we also plan our cooking and gas usage. Some of us have to because we're always above 10k.

Just get over the fire thing.. An extra can or fuel bottle is never a bad thing. Heck, I could cook on 151 if i had some left over on the last day. :)
Yes, when you backpacking and count every gram you would not leave gas burning in the air to roast marshmallows.

We also above 10k most of the time. And those rare days we are below we used to celebrate with cooking something more complex and delicious, and sitting longer near fire, singing and talking. Of course, we will survive without it.
bitingspider
Topix Novice

Post by bitingspider »

Sorry - I thought it was funny and apropos. It certainly used a little gas but it doesn't take long to roast a marshmallow over a propane jet!

That was last weekend at Weaver Lake and while the masses were going bananas down along Big Meadows road with huge fires, huge 5th wheels, and huge noise, Weaver was delightfully peaceful (barring some boys attempting hatchet/knife throwing for a few hours). Even backpacking has a variety of ways folks enjoy it so good luck finding your fire!
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

bitingspider wrote:Sorry - I thought it was funny and apropos. It certainly used a little gas but it doesn't take long to roast a marshmallow over a propane jet!

That was last weekend at Weaver Lake and while the masses were going bananas down along Big Meadows road with huge fires, huge 5th wheels, and huge noise, Weaver was delightfully peaceful (barring some boys attempting hatchet/knife throwing for a few hours). Even backpacking has a variety of ways folks enjoy it so good luck finding your fire!
Of course it is funny and apropos.

I was just expressing my serious feelings related to backpacking. In general I don't like things (especially resources) to be wasted.

We will enjoy backpacking without making fire this season, no doubts.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Satsuma wrote:I was just expressing my serious feelings related to backpacking. In general I don't like things (especially resources) to be wasted.
I have burned gas canisters into the air on occasion just to empty them. It's hard to feel strongly, at least in an honest way, about the relatively tiny amount of petroleum gas wasted when cooking with a canister after traveling hundreds of miles by internal combustion engine to get to the trailhead. I don't worry about it anyway.
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

longri wrote:
Satsuma wrote:I was just expressing my serious feelings related to backpacking. In general I don't like things (especially resources) to be wasted.
I have burned gas canisters into the air on occasion just to empty them. It's hard to feel strongly, at least in an honest way, about the relatively tiny amount of petroleum gas wasted when cooking with a canister after traveling hundreds of miles by internal combustion engine to get to the trailhead. I don't worry about it anyway.
I don't feel that strong but I would never do so. Why you need to empty them? If we have something left we keep it for family camping trips or to make a tea at beach picnic.

It is not that I worry so much about tiny amount but I always use everything which could be used. I got it from my grandmother.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

fifty percent of forest fires are caused by campfires. .
Fifty percent of all statistics are made up on the spot
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

caddis wrote:
fifty percent of forest fires are caused by campfires. .
Fifty percent of all statistics are made up on the spot
X2
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
BigE1969
Topix Novice

Post by BigE1969 »

Looks SEKI has a ban on all back-country fires now. http://www.nps.gov/seki/loader.cfm?csMo ... eID=635992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;