TR: Isberg Trail, 7/26 - 7/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Isberg Trail, 7/26 - 7/27

Post by sheperd80 »

Last weekend was supposed to be our family vacation to Universal Studios. The last-minute planning committee couldnt see eye to eye on a few things so we rescheduled it for next month. So I decided to use the day off for a solo overnighter.

I really enjoyed my last trip to Ansel Adams Wilderness so I thought id continue combing my way east which led me to Isberg Trail, target Joe Crane Lake. I figured it was a realistic goal for a short trip. I wasnt going to try and shoot for Isberg Lakes or Pass in one day. I wouldve had to skip the many other beautiful lakes along the way.

I got a really late start, didnt hit the trailhead until noon! And with all the doom and gloom from Oakhurstians and Bass Lakians about the fires, I almost didnt go. But when I get a trip in my sights, well...im sure you all can relate.

Dont laught at my Avg Speed! I left the app on the entire trip so I think it may have averaged in some fishing, campsite meandering, etc.

Seeing 10 cars at the TH was a little disheartening but I thought with so many junctions on the trail I might get lucky....wrong!

A fairly easy trail leads to The Niche, a nice gentle pass. I enjoyed this part of the trail. It was the first real climb and the first real scenery.

Just past the Niche approaching Cora Lakes.

Granite Creek, my first water stop.

Lovin the Sawyer Squeeze!

ID anyone? I think its an edible rumex of some sort (dock or sorrell?). Im pretty clueless on the subject and trying to learn.

How about this one?

Stopped at the center Cora Lake for lunch and fishing.

Got a few throwbacks and a keeper, about 9". Packed him up and took him along for dinner.

I almost stayed at Cora. It was already 3pm by the time I was done goofin around. Weather was lookin iffy but I decided to carry on anyway.

From this point on the trail was lush and beautiful.

Knockblock Meadow with views of the Yosemite/Sierra Divide in the background I think...

So many wildflowers lined this section of trail.

Not what you want to see heading down from you're intended campsite...

The last 2 miles to Joe Crane were relentless, but that first sighting through the trees is always so rewarding!

The Mule train had dropped off a loud obnoxious group of guys. I camped opposite them but could still hear them laughing and talking as loud as possible until shortly after dark....sigh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by sheperd80 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 am, edited 14 times in total.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I slept great that night. I got a new air mattress (rei stratus) which helped a lot but that Koppen tent is going back to dicks. Its too short and i prefer a freestanding option.

Had coffee and breakfast and hit the trail by about 730. When i reached the junction i decided i wanted to see more of this trail. So I stashed my pack off trail a ways, grabbed my pole and whatever I could stuff in my pockets and headed up towards Sadler and Mcclure.

Despite the considerable elevation gain, hiking packless up to Sadler was great. It made me think that the ultralighters may be on to something.

After a few miles of beautiful trail I reached the suprisingly large Sadler Lake. It was breathtaking.

I decided to continue on to Mcclure then fish on the way back. I lost the trail for a bit but it was easy enough following the stream up.

Mcclure was much smaller but still interesting. A lone hiker sat at the end of the peninsula reading a book.

I decided to let her be even though she was at what looked like the best fishing spot on the lake. Every cast into the shallow waters yielded a fish. Most under 8" but i got a few legals. Eventually I was reeling in as fast as I could to avoid the little ones.

Back down to Sadler. I fished the inlet for a minute then briefly along the shallow edge of the lake.

Like McClure, the far side of Sadler looked much deeper and id bet it was full of bigger browns and rainbows. But the shallows where I fished were full of hungry, energetic little fish. I c&r'd a few and decided to get going back down the trail.

I made it back to the junction in about 25 minutes, practically running down the steep trail. It was fun and certainly fast but I payed for it later in my knees, feet and ankles.

I powered through the rest of the return hike, stopping only briefly at Cora for lunch.

All in all it was a great hike, and my first true solo overnighter. I feel like I kind of rushed through a trail that is worthy of atleast 2 nights if not more. Ill probably go back some day and do some real fishing instead of quick pass-through fishing, and hit isberg lakes and maybe go over the pass.

This is one of the prettiest trails ive seen as far as greenery, granite, and wildflowers. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasnt been. The climbs to each lake are short and strenuous but thats pretty typical. The trail is clear and well marked. I came home with only one mosquito bite!!! There were very few at the lakes and picaridin kept them at bay. The swampy parts of the trail were where I ran into quite a few. Flies however were everywhere. One of my many gripes about pack trails!

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: TR: Isberg Trail, 7/26 - 7/27

Post by Wandering Daisy »

McClure Lake was dammed at one time - still a dammed lake to some degree. When I was there a few years back, later season, it was really low and a big disappointment. The "shoreline" was nothing but swaths of mud. Sounds like it had more water when you visited.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Nice report. When we camped at Sadler two years ago, there was a large campsite for horse packers...but it was empty, happily.

And I agree---that trail from Cora Lakes up the canyon is just beautiful. We stopped for lunch and I pulled two nice trout out of a pool in the creek in five minutes.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Congratulations on you first solo overnighter! Thanks for the TR and pretty pictures. :thumbsup:
I unfortuntely to have experinced some obnoxitous individuals while passing by Cora
Lakes several years back, they were taking a bath with soap in the lake, even had
suds all over their horses, yelling at the top of their lungs. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Excellent report. Surprised at how lush it still is in some areas.

I think that first mystery plant is Pine Drops (Pterospora andromedea).
d.a.sklansky
Topix Newbie

Post by d.a.sklansky »

Great trip report! How bad was the smoke? (Aside from some haziness, did you even notice it?) We have a trip planned out of Florence Lake starting this weekend, and we're trying to decide whether to relocate further south.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi D. A. Sklansky,

Welcome to HST! Please read this thread: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 715#p72842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

d.a.sklansky wrote:Great trip report! How bad was the smoke? (Aside from some haziness, did you even notice it?) We have a trip planned out of Florence Lake starting this weekend, and we're trying to decide whether to relocate further south.
Where I was the smoke wasnt bad at all, just a distant haze. Florence may be another story.

Last edited by sheperd80 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

TehipiteTom wrote:Excellent report. Surprised at how lush it still is in some areas.

I think that first mystery plant is Pine Drops (Pterospora andromedea).
Yeah the pic in your link certainly looks right. Glad I didnt take a bite!