Loud Snoring

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Loud Snoring

Post by maverick »

How many of you are loud snorers? Do your backpacking buddies set up their tents far
away from yours? Have you been awakened or kept up long hours because of a snorer
in the backcountry? What did you do to stop the snorer? I wonder if loud snoring would
deter bears from coming into ones camp or would the sound attract them? :D
Let's hear your stories, whether you were on the giving or the recieveing end.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Loud Snoring

Post by rlown »

I don't snore.. :D My wife does. If i actually do, i think it deters bears, rodents and of course sasquatch.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Good quality industrial ear plugs. I do not go with out them. And if the snoring exceeds the sound reduction limits of my ear plugs, I jab them in the ribs. If I have to be awake, so do they.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I do snore, but only loud enough to annoy my significant other :)

I guess I mostly go solo, so not sure if I annoy others.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

I never snore but most of my brothers do and so have others I've frequently backpacked with. I absolutely cannot stand the sound of others snoring. One of my brothers snoring is incredibly disgusting but have not backpacked with him for nearly two decades. Despite my near retirement age, I very much hope to find a compatible woman to live out the rest of my years with. And one thing is very certain. She cannot snore.

In the backcountry I simply tent well away from any that may snore. And often use ear plugs when first trying to go to sleep each evening even when solo. After I wake up and am drowsy will take them out since it effects breathing to some degree. Others that snore always seem to have a knack for falling asleep quickly. If I have to waken them to stop them snoring, they invariably will fall asleep quickly then start snoring again before I have any chance of sleeping. So have learned to find alternative spots to move to at night if need be. Thus will pick up my freestanding tent and relocate.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

My snoring has sucessfully protected me from unwanted bear and human intrusion into my camp since 1995! :)
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Good quality industrial ear plugs. I do not go with out them. And if the snoring exceeds the sound reduction limits of my ear plugs, I jab them in the ribs. If I have to be awake, so do they.
Ha! I know another girl who uses that technique. :D
11Sport Grove.JPG
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.