Sleeping in the Woods

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sleeping in the Woods

Post by AlmostThere »

I sleep better in the hammock than at home or on the ground.

I sleep equally well on an air mattress (NeoAir or Q Core) or at home.

I snore... sometimes, not all the time. Or so I'm told. I can sleep through other people snoring, wind, rain, etc.

I can drink a cup of coffee before bed and sleep well.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Sleeping in the Woods

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Compared to most of those I hike with, I actually sleep quite well in the back country. That said, the answer your original question is no, I dont sleep better in the mountains compared to home. I sleep like a rock at home and if I ever wake during the night its non typical. In the mountains, I still sleep pretty good, but I tend to wake up a few times each night as I roll around alot and end up off of my pad. I wake for the time needed to rearrange my pad, then back to slumber land.

Now naps are a different story. I have become quite adept at napping almost anywhere, backcountry or the front lands ;) . Seems I get better at it as the years roll by =D> . To answer Vacas query, I look for the most level spot I can find , which doesnt typically present itself. Typically, I select a spot with a very slight downhill drop with my feet lower than my head. I also like spots that have a small trough or indent so I stay in one place, but one must make sure such sites have good drainage if it rains.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead