Best Practice for lightning

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best Practice for lightning

Post by rlown »

i'd be in my tent. In my bag, on my pad. Low as possible where ever that might happen, away from trees. Odds are still with you. My tent has one pole. you could just ground it with simple wire.

As a precaution, you could stack your aluminum pots and pans on your neighbor's tent. :D

I'm not sitting outside in a storm regardless. If it happens, it happens. Just don't do stupid and pick a high point or really close to a big tree.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jack,

Welcome to HST! Here is the thread about lightning safety:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8001&hilit=lightening" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also please check you messages. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:i'd be in my tent. In my bag, on my pad. Low as possible where ever that might happen, away from trees. Odds are still with you. My tent has one pole. you could just ground it with simple wire.

As a precaution, you could stack your aluminum pots and pans on your neighbor's tent. :D

I'm not sitting outside in a storm regardless. If it happens, it happens. Just don't do stupid and pick a high point or really close to a big tree.
Grounding the pole probably isn't going to help. If you were unlucky enough that your tent pole was the focus of a lightning strike you'd be too close to the strike. That said, like you I wouldn't go outside and assume that lightning position in the middle of a big storm. The one thing you could do inside your bag inside your tent is assume a position that limits how much ground current you are exposed to. That might be worth doing.

If you haven't seen it already, here's a very good article on wilderness lightning risk, the best I've seen. It's worth reading: http://www.wec.ufl.edu/safety/Backcount ... Safety.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

After hearing several rangers talk about lightning strikes at the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon, this is what I learned.

Get away from tall, single trees standing out by themselves. They do attract lightning. However, if you go deeper into the woods, you'd be more likely to be okay. So if lightning storms threaten in the Sierra, I'd get off those granite slabs quickly and try to get into a forested area and lie down in a ditch or ravine.

After reading, Shattered Air, about a lightning strike on top of Half Dome, caves are NOT a good idea. The lightning hits and bounces around inside.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Updated the HST lightning discussion page Maverick linked to with much of a post I'd commented on at summitpost.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Locking this thread since maverick redirected to a more in-depth existing thread on the same topic.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix