Sawmill lake trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SpaceMonkey
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sawmill lake trail

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hi folks. Thanks for the great advice. What a cool forum!

I am heading up the sawmill creek trail on Tuesday very early. Can anyone give me any recent feedback on the upkeep of the trail...it's our first time...and wonder if there will be any problem staying on trail.

Also, any recent feedback on availability of water on the trail? I don't expect any for the first few miles, but what about farther ahead?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sawmill lake trail

Post by freestone »

I was on the trail 2 years ago. No issues with water, and the trail was in great shape.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

HI SpaceMokey,

Welcome to HST! Here is a members TR from May: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9279&p=69273&hilit=sawmill#p69273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SpaceMonkey
Topix Newbie

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Thank you! I saw this earlier and it helps give me a sense of the trail. As it's a bit later in the season I wonder if any water has dried up.

Great TR and excellent forum in general!
SpaceMonkey
Topix Newbie

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Just to finally follow up (I'm getting used to this forum) here is a link to a short trip report. It's the beginning of a longer account of 70 miles on the JMT.

Thanks everybody for all the great advice. I definitely listed BPL as the best resource for me.

http://giampiero.com/hiking/john-muir-trail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveB
Topix Novice

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for sharing that trip report and photos Spacemonkey! Loved it - it took me back in time to when I roamed that area as a b/c ranger in the 1980s. I admire your sense of adventure in going up Sawmill Pass from the east.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Spacemonkey: Great report - thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it. I've been over Sawmill Pass a couple times. The last time I came out at night to avoid the heat and it was still 88 degrees at the trailhead at 11 pm at night.