Weekend suggestions Aug 9

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
themappist
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Weekend suggestions Aug 9

Post by themappist »

I just found out I need to be in San Jose for Work Aug 9. Will have a car through the weekend and a red eye flight back out to sea level on the east coast late Sunday evening out of SFO.

I'm a strong, ultralight backpacker, experienced Climber and comfortable with xcountry travel and grade 3-4 scrambles. Have a few Sierra trips under my belt. Looking for suggestion for a quick overnight loop I could do Saturday night.

Was looking at driving out Friday night grabbing a permit early Sat morning or heading somewhere I won't need one.

Options on my list: Mt Conness area via 20 Lakes as it appears not to be a quota trailhead. Entering via Saddlebag Lake

Other option would be Matterhorn Peak. But that requires a permit.

Also nice would be some fishing opportunities. I just got a Tenkara fly rod I would like to try out.

Would appreciate any suggestions with nice secluded campsite, good views, fishing, solitude...and Unicorns.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Weekend suggestions Aug 9

Post by balzaccom »

The Conness itinerary would work---but it's a long drive from SF to Saddlebag Lake...and that's a drive you'll have to make Sunday afternoon, as well, no?

You might find it quicker to take I-80 towards Tahoe, and then hike south into the Granite Chief/Desolation wildernesses. If you pick a less popular trailhead, you might still get a permit, and it would save a few hours in the car...

Or from Tuolumne Meadows, you can almost always get a permit for Nelson Lake, which is a xc route out of Elizabeth Lake that would allow you to explore a lot of country south of TM...and save at least a half an hour each way on the drive....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I might be mistaken, but you still need a permit for the Conness area.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Did last time I went in. Had to go down to Lee Vining visitor center.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
I might be mistaken, but you still need a permit for the Conness area.
No your not Rlown, you would need to pick one up at Mono Lake Wilderness Center
if starting and ending on the eastern side.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... ecid=20620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 2&actid=51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

There are a lot of jurisdictions converging in this area. Inyo National Forest seems to have jurisdiction of the 20 lakes basin, which is not in Yosemite. Mt. Conness is right on the border, so approaching Conness from the west would be permitted in Yosemite (Young Lakes trailhead). The east area of the basin is in Hoover Wilderness which is mostly under Toiyabe NF in Bridgeport. Not sure, but I think this part of Hoover is probably administered by Inyo. I'd start with a call to Inyo in Bishop or Mammoth to confirm, but I think you'll be able to camp near Conness without too much trouble. I'd be more worried about the long drive from San Jose given your time frame. Consider Emigrant Wilderness - I sent you a PM with my best advice.

Just read the post above this one. The Saddlebag Trailhead is administered by Inyo, as I thought. The Mono Lake location (linked by Mav) would be the closest for you. The good news is there's no quota for Saddlebag Lake trailhead, so you should be able to camp near Conness without too much trouble. Consider taking the boat taxi across Saddlebag. It's about $5 and might be a good option for someone on your tight schedule. This is a gorgeous area, hiking is mostly level, you'll spend more time driving to and from than hiking the area.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you can obtain your permit at the TM wilderness office in Yose as well. Depends on where you come in. I've done that before in the late season coming in from the West.

I agree with the comment about more driving than hiking.. ugh.. I think the boat ride is more than 5 buxx but probably worth it.. I think they charge per pack as well.

I like the hike around the lake as i get to fish along the way.
themappist
Topix Acquainted

Post by themappist »

Thank you all for the time taken to respond. I had recently read a fantastic trip report about the Cathedral Range over at Backpackinglight: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 871#591871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So the Nelson Lake recommendation caught my attention. I sped through that area on my first two days of the JMT in 2009 and would love to revisit it. I did ask for Unicorns so thanks balzaccom for delivering on that request ;)
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I haven't seen a unicorn in the Sierra's since the early 70"s.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.