2006 Mosquito report..post 'em here.

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I think it comes down to elevation now. I was just over Mono and Gabbot Passes. Under 10000 feet, the mosquitoes were as Doyle describes, at least in the evening. Over 10000 feet, there were only a few, and over 11000 none at all. And the wildflowers were surprisingly nice everywhere.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I was up Bear Creek into the Seven Gables Lakes area this last weekend. Mosquitos along Bear Creek were present, but few and far between. They were more active around 11k, but still not that bothersome.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

This has certainly been a summer of the mosquito worth remembering in the future when wet conditions are similar. Was up over Lamarck Col this labor day weekend on my sixth backpack this summer. Finally mosquitoes were scarce enough and nights chilly enough that I didn't bother using the net on my bivy at night and enjoyed awake periods gazing at the universe. ...David
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

We were camped above Honeymoon Lake September 12th through the 14th. The mosquitos would come out around dusk then disappear when it got completely dark. There were some first thing in the morning too. After dealing with the swarms in July, I hardly noticed these. Still, it was surprising that I had to cover myself due to mosquitos in mid-September.

I bet there are none now, due to the freeze we had last Friday.
daniel
Topix Newbie

Post by daniel »

My son and I were in Dusy Basin September 17 - 21, with day hikes into the Palisades Basin and down into Le Conte Canyon. We did not notice a single mosquito or other annoying insect the whole time. The nights were cool (one night below freezing). There was one day of poor visibility due to the Ojai forest fire 200 miles away but the winds finally changed and blew the smoke away. It was a great time. We were originally going to go in mid-August but postponed our trip thanks to the great information in this forum. Thanks to everyone!
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Saw two mosquitos near Grouse Meadows in Le Conte canyon. They were very sluggish, slapped 'em both before they got me. They must have been late season freaks because I didn't see any others the entire week. Nice.
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Post by tory8411 »

I was up Bear Creek to Seven Gables and Bear Lakes Basin last weekend. I didn't see a single bug of any type the whole trip. Not even at the higher elevations where snow is still melting. I think the temp is now getting rid of them. All the meadows on the way up were pretty dried out.
T