Lost Hikers: Lake Italy

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Lost Hikers: Lake Italy

Post by caddis »

4 women lost somewhere between the JMT and Lk Italy. Anyone have any info?

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=9183879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Re: Lost Hikers: Lake Italy

Post by artrock23 »

I hope they are found okay.

This is another example of how important it is to carry a map & compass, and have the skills to use them.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

The trail is intermittent above Hilgard meadow but I can't see getting lost in that area since you can only go two directions...up or down. I'm guessing they lost the trail from Italy to the pass that would explain being able to get a call out
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are errors in the newspaper article. The JMT does not go between Lake Italy and Bear Creek. It is unclear if they turned up the Hildegard trail thinking it was the JMT or got lost off the JMT (it is a super highway- hard to think how you could loose the JMT). I doubt they are very experienced. I have been temporarily "disoriented" (better to say that than lost!) several times, one time for three days and it never crossed my mind that someone should come find me. One part of being experienced is knowing how to handle being temporarily lost and not panic. They have gear, they have water being along a creek, and even if out of food, they should be just fine if not comfortable. Thick smoke is miserable backpacking conditions, but usually there are time slots when the smoke clears out for a while. I was just in that area last week- a beautiful area - too bad about the fire and smoke.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Sounds like they've been located in good health and spirits.
http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/07/24/340 ... opter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I'm more concerned and interested in the Father/Son pair mentioned in the article. Spot appeared to work for them. A real emergency, maybe.

Being stuck in smoke is not an emergency (my opinion). It's a situation, and you wait for the wind to blow, unless you see flames.
Last edited by rlown on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

artrock23 wrote:I hope they are found okay.

This is another example of how important it is to carry a map & compass, and have the skills to use them.
Also is a good example of why it's important to study the map really well before you go, create a detailed trip plan with distances, elevation changes, potential water and camping places all plotted, best evacuation route for every point on your journey, and leave a copy with a contact person who will contact authorities if you don't report in by a certain time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
Being stuck in smoke is not an emergency (my opinion). It's a situation, and you wait
for the wind to blow, unless you see flames.
Agree with this statement, especially with the fire itself being several miles away from
their location they were in no imminent danger.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

Breaking News Update: 4 single males continue their search for the 4 lost single females near Italy Pass. The hunt continues with fine wine, fresh trout, and backcountry pizza. :nod:
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

Search canceled after 4 hikers found in CA forest

HUNTINGTON LAKE, CALIF. — Fresno County authorities have called off the search for four hikers who got lost in the Sierra National Forest after they were found in good condition.

Sheriff's officials said they received a 911 cell phone call Tuesday from one of the hikers who said that she, her mother, and two other women had become disoriented by smoke from a nearby wildfire.

Authorities searched by foot and helicopter until they ran into hikers who said they encountered the women on the John Muir Trail near Silver Pass. The hikers said the women were well and had resumed hiking to their destination in Tuolumne County.
Really? Hiking the JMT and you get disoriented by smoke, panic, and call 911? Hell, sit down and wait an hour, you are bound to see 1 or 2 groups pass by