Lodgepole to Cedar Grove? (SEKI)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sevensharpeleven
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by sevensharpeleven »

Hi all.

I'm planning a 2 week trip into SEKI with the end goal being to complete the RAE lakes loop. I've already got the wilderness permit leaving out of woods creek on 8/13. I have my ticket to Visalia via Amtrack arriving 8/4. I will be taking the shuttle from Visalia to the giant forest and camping 2 nights at Lodgepole campground. From there I need to make it to road's end and that's where my question comes in...

Since I have no car, I will be hiking into kings canyon and I need some sugestions as to routes. Seeing as I have a week to get there, I wouldn't mind venturing into the jennie lakes wilderness, but it looks like the most direct route is going through the Sequoia National Forest?
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :D
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Not sure what the question here is, as Jennie Lakes is IN Sequoia National Forest. From Lodgepole you go Cahoon Gap to JO Pass.

Going over avalanche pass to drop into Bubbs Creek to Roads End will take a few days.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim
Topix Expert

Re: Lodgepole to Cedar Grove? (SEKI)

Post by tim »

If you do the entire trip without exiting the wilderness for more than 1 night then there would be no need to use your Rae Lakes permit, as the original entry would cover it. That being said, do you need to resupply at Cedar Grove? Remember you will need to hitch from Roads End back to Cedar Grove if you plan to stop there.

Are you comfortable with cross-country travel? If so, I would consider taking the Lakes Trail from Wolverton (shuttle from Lodgepole), camping night 1 at Pear Lake, cross country through the Tablelands to Big Bird Lake for night 2, down Deadman Canyon to spend night 3 at Roaring River, go over Avalanche Pass and you're already on the Bubbs Creek trail on night 4. An on trail alternative goes via Twin Lakes and over Silliman Pass to Roaring River.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sevenesharpeleven,

Welcome to HST! Please read so memebers can give you beta according to your
experience level, thanks: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sevensharpeleven
Topix Newbie

Post by sevensharpeleven »

maverick wrote:Hi Sevenesharpeleven,

Welcome to HST! Please read so memebers can give you beta according to your
experience level, thanks: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about that...here goes

Experience-Level 2
Terrain-Class 2
Main Interest-Photography

I've never done any cross country before, but I am totally up for the new experience! Any tips on what to expect in the tablelands?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

not sure someone without cross country experience would appreciate the tablelands.... Don't try it unless you're good with a map at the very least.

I'd recommend heading for Avalanche Pass from Lodgepole via Silliman Pass and Sugarloaf. If you have a spare day in there, a side trip down to Roaring River would be nice.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Some photos of my late season Tablelands trip here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And more extensive photos from someone else's trip here: http://www.tarol.com/tablelands.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its fairly easy terrain once you're up there, but you need to be competent in route finding and make sure you know exactly where the descent off the north side goes down.