Sleeping Bag Question for Pine Creek Pass

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sleeping Bag Question for Pine Creek Pass

Post by freestone »

my 30 degree bag with a light puffy for sleeping
I assume you are layering with a another down garment. In mid August you will be chilled, but not miserably cold. The pad you sleep should also be considered and could make the difference if you decide to go with a lighter fill bag, but In the alpine zone, be prepared for cold even in August, and that means having enough down fill weight in your pack to keep you warm, regardless of how or where you distribute it.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Just out from 15 days in over Pine Creek Pass and out over Italy Pass. All but one night over 10,500. Seemed to me to be unusually warm, never close to freezing but sooner or later a cool spell will occur and you should be prepared. Also had two full on thunderstorms and a few afternoons with light precip. Came out today because there was a red sky this am and we didn't want to risk spending the day in our tents. Looks like it may be raining up there now!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

I use a 30 degree bag in the Sierra from late June through mid-September. From April to late June and from mid-Sept until the end of my season (usually sometime in October), I use a 10 degree bag. I also switch to a lighter sleeping pad with a lower R value when I use the 30 degree bag.

I always carry some type of lightweight puffy jacket (down or synthetic) and usually pack my down booties.

Not all 30 degree bags are created equal. I have a 20 degree bag I use for car camping (a North Face Bag) that doesn't keep me nearly as warm as the 30 degree bag I use backpacking (a Feathered Friends Bag).