Shepherd Pass Trail - Significant Damage 7/21/2013

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail - Significant Damage 7/21/2013

Post by maverick »

Hi SDD,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the trail update and photos! :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy time at work. Finally got around to downloading my teammate's photos of the trail. This is what it looked like on Monday 22 July when we hiked out. As SenorDingDong noted, more damage was inflicted after the rains of Monday night and Tuesday, so things are looking bad.

Descending the top of the switchbacks below Shepherd Pass

Still on the switchbacks, note the deep gash cutting across on the right

Washout below Anvil Camp

One of the bigger gullies below Anvil Camp

Slide came down from ridge of Mt. Keith

"Bulldozer Gully" - note the human-sized pine tree on the right next to the trail for scale

Climbing down into "Bulldozer Gully"

Path of slide on its way down to Shepherd Creek

Shepherd Creek at Mahogany Flat

Third crossing (from TH) of Symmes Creek

Team member washing off after falling into mud up to the knees
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Orbitor! :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
canukyea
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by canukyea »

Oh man, that looks incredibly bad. Glad the loose rocks decided to stay still for now.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

J ney wrote:Wow... Thanks for the heads up! Pics would be great! I saw those storms in the forecast and cancelled a trip out to Mt Sill on Sunday, sounds like I made the right call... Trying again in a couple of weeks.
J ney,
We were supposed to climb Tyndall before hiking out on Monday. After getting the brunt of the storm on Sunday night, we awoke to cloudy skies and cold wind the following morning. With more storm on the horizon, there was no hesitation drop Tyndall and get out as fast as possible. Good to hear you played it safe in the Palisades.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
Crossdrew
Topix Novice

Post by Crossdrew »

Thanks for the photos, they really enhance the descriptions provided. We are planning a trip w/an exit down Taboose pass, with llamas in early Sept. Any body have first hand experience w/Taboose after the rains & mudslides? The Forest Service has said that Taboose was similarly affected by the same storm as was Shepherd's pass. Any reports? Thanks, Candace
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Looks like a 100+ year thunderstorm flood event. Usually big thunderstorms over the Sierra Crest tend to move slowly however at times have seen massive buildups that just stay over a particular area and dump rain massively for hours until cumulus finally gets so tall that upper atmospheric winds finally push them along.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

We just came out from Shepherd yesterday. The upper switchbacks have been boot worn in and didn't seem all that much different then usual to me (somewhat of a gravel). Most of the smaller washouts have also been worn in and are well cairned.

The big kahuna is pretty impressive though! It is easily passed (for now) up ~100' from where the trail used to be. I say for now because the walls of the ravine are pretty tenuous and could change with use and or further rains.

It is a pretty amazing sight to see how both Shepherd and Simms Creeks have been flushed. Here's a link to a video of the gorge.

One of the smaller washouts
_MG_3084.jpg
Simms Creek
_MG_3086.jpg
_MG_3085.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

John - that must have been you and your partner I ran into just after you crossed the gully on Tuesday. Thanks for the tip to go up - it worked fine. By Friday there were ducks all over the place - a lot more than on Tuesday and some of them were down lower in places I wouldn't want to cross, but we all have different comfort levels.