No Optical Viewfinder on newer P and S Camera's ?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

No Optical Viewfinder on newer P and S Camera's ?

Post by madeintahoe »

I am still shopping for a new P&S camera....I am reading now that most of the newer models do not have the old fashioned Viewfinder to look through...my older Canon Powershot has the viewfinder..and I did always use it to look through when the sun was so bright I had a hard time seeing what I was looking at through the LCD screen.

The two cameras I am considering both have no Viewfinder.....Am I going to find myself missing have the viewfinder? and those who are using a camera without one..do you find you miss having one?..Really wish Canon still worked on the A95..it was the perfect camera for myself....it also had the swivel screen which I loved
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: No Optical Viewfinder on newer P and S Camera's ?

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you Maverick....Did not really think I could get another one to buy..this one is refurbished which I guess is okay and something to think about..getting another one.

I really do want the wide angle that the two I am considering have....so just not sure yet.

Thank you again for the link!
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

My Panasonic Lumix LX5 has a hotshoe optical viewfinder. I haven't purchased it, but otherwise love the camera. Haven't missed the optical VF like I thought I would, honestly.

Sent from a tricorder using Tapatalk
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by vitaminC »

The LCD's on newer cameras are likely much better than on your previous camera- just as the camera itself will be considerably improved.

There aren't many P&S options with an optical view finder. The problem is that it's hard to factor in the zoom function into the viewfinder as well. You could consider a rangefinder camera like a Leica (for big $) or you could get an Olympus PEN camera with a fixed lens and their optical viewfinder.

For a true P&S option, how about the Panasonic LX3 and this?
----------------
Lots of photos
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you LightRanger...I was also told that I probably won't miss having a VF

VitaminC...Thank you for the links..I am considering a Panasonic..so will research that model
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by vitaminC »

A friend was just showing me his Canon G15, and it indeed has an optical VF! A little larger than many P&S cameras, but seems pretty nice. And you can really extend the battery life by leaving the EVF off. Lots of choices out there!
----------------
Lots of photos