Carson Iceberg TR (pic heavy)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Carson Iceberg TR (pic heavy)

Post by TahoeJeff »

This is a report on a spot that seems to be seldom visited. It was a family and dogs trip. We left my truck at the High Trail/Carson River TH the night before and got dropped off at the Corral Valley TH:

It is the TH to get to this (we did not go there however):

The first ¼ mile is up hill, and then before you start to descend you pass though this sagebrush and wild flower area:

On the way down you go by this (Stone Boy, Human Boy and Canine Boy):

Crossing the Paiute stream we pass the last person we’ll see for 2 days:

A little further is Poison Flat:

Then we got to Soda Cone:

Looking back up at it from the base:

At the bottom of the hike in we hit the Guard Station:

There is an electric fence to deter the bears from tearing the cabin apart surrounding it. I stepped over it; my wife did not and got zapped on her leg. Finn the black dog decided to sniff the electric fence and got zapped on his nose, OUCH=YELP! My son wisely stayed well away.

Here is a sign nearby on a giant pine with mileage to prominent downstream features:

We went about a mile or so upstream and set up camp (with Scout on guard):

There were a bunch of Lodgepole pines around camp whose cones on the ground have very sharp spikes sticking out. Those of us with boots on did not realize this, but the dogs did. They stepped around pretty gingerly which we erroneously attributed to the 7 mile hike in. We won’t be setting up camp in that type of area again. We had a hearty dinner of my home made and dehydrated split pea and lamb shank soup/stew and turned in early.

The next day we hiked up a couple of miles to Carson Falls:

Quite an effective fish barrier to protect the pure LCTs above:

Some members of the party were a little burned out after the hike to the falls:

Back at camp my son got us a few small wild brookies for dinner to fry up in ghee (YUM):

We got up early the next day and started our arduous hike out. Here is a style of trail marker I haven’t seen before. It’s a 4”x4” metal post, which should last quite a long time:

After 4-5 hours of hiking we were West of Vaquero Camp, which is at the edge of the far meadow and foothills:

Previously, I had “sugar coated” the description of the hike out to my wife, saying it was all downhill and about 9 miles. In reality it was more like 11 miles plus, and the last stretch is a steep uphill climbing out of the river canyon to the TH. As others have noted, we are in a heat spell lately and we felt it big time hiking out. Here is Scout plopped down in a feeder creek soaking his hot/tired feet:

Almost at the end of our journey we pass the mud hole named Wolf Creek Lake:

A mere hundred feet from my truck and the end of our hot dusty hike out; my son is all smiles:

As I said, we saw no people the whole time we were in the wilderness. There was no garbage to be seen, and there are very few established camp sites/fire rings. I would highly recommend this area to those looking for solitude and natural beauty!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carson Iceberg TR (pic heavy)

Post by maverick »

Kool family trip with even better pictures, thanks for sharing! Did your wife ever realize
that you fudging the mileage? I would have been getting an earful. :nod:
Did you see any signs of current or previous bear activity besides the electric fence?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

My wife told me she would punch me if I said one more time: "we're getting close to the trail head". She was a little pissed at the end, but after burgers and beers in Markleeville, all was well.
There was bear scat everywhere in Dumont's Meadow, both fresh and old. The Station definitely had claw/teeth scars in a few places.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

TJ wrote:
She was a little pissed at the end, but after burgers and beers in Markleeville, all was well.
You got off easy! ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

What a wonderful family odyssey. Neat country.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

maverick wrote:
TJ wrote:
She was a little pissed at the end, but after burgers and beers in Markleeville, all was well.
You got off easy! ;)
Those must have been some darn good burgers. ;)

Great report about an area I don't know at all. Thanks for posting it.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Hey TJ, Check your PM!

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

You wouldnt happen to have a photos of the hike up from the carson to wolf lake and then to the HIGH TRAIL would you?
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Mark, the river/high trail split is only a hundred yards or so from the parking area at the TH. Just a bit past the last photo I posted with my boy at the wilderness sign.

Milton Friedman
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

These are wonderful pictures!....I remember many years ago being on a hike near this area...It has been so long I can't remember the whole details.... It is a beautiful area.
The dogs are wonderful and your son looks to be quite the Backpacker with his own pack!

Thank you for posting...how was the weather up at the lake today?