Twin lakes Kaiser Pass vs. Twin Lakes out of Lodgepole

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TCHN DAD
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Twin lakes Kaiser Pass vs. Twin Lakes out of Lodgepole

Post by TCHN DAD »

Hi,

I am researching for a beginner backpacking trip of 2 nights for myself and my 13 year old son. In another unrelated thread that I started, someone recommended Twin Lakes out of the Kaiser Wilderness. But, as I was organizing things, I found a Twin lakes trail also going out of Lodgepole.

Which one would be the better beginner route, assuming I can get permits? We are looking to step off on Tuesday morning, July 30 I am in reasonably good shape. I mountain bike 3 to 4 times a week over varied terrain of mileage between 8 - 13 miles. My son on the other hand is not very active.

Can anyone supply basic differences in the two trails. Crowds, elevation gain, starting elevation, available campsites at lake, etc.?

Below is my background info. if it helps.

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 1- Minimal hiking
Level 2- Did one trip as accompanying parent on a boyscout overnight backpack trip a few years ago.

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- big mountain scenery

How many days/nights – 2 days overnight
How many miles did you want to do? 3 – 5 layover okay
Did you prefer a loop or out and back trip? Doesn’t matter
Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in(Yosemite, SEKI
western sierra start or eastern start ect.)? No
Will you be hiking with a dog. No

Thanks

Rod
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Twin lakes Kaiser Pass vs. Twin Lakes out of Lodgepole

Post by giantbrookie »

TCHN DAD wrote:Hi,

I am researching for a beginner backpacking trip of 2 nights for myself and my 13 year old son. In another unrelated thread that I started, someone recommended Twin Lakes out of the Kaiser Wilderness. But, as I was organizing things, I found a Twin lakes trail also going out of Lodgepole.

Which one would be the better beginner route, assuming I can get permits? We are looking to step off on Tuesday morning, July 30 I am in reasonably good shape. I mountain bike 3 to 4 times a week over varied terrain of mileage between 8 - 13 miles. My son on the other hand is not very active.
Twin Lakes, Kaiser Wilderness is a much easier hike (less distance and elevation gain) than Twin Lakes out of Lodgepole. There are also a better selection of low intensity dayhikes that can be spun off from the Twin Lakes of Kaiser Wilderness versus Twin Lakes out of Lodgepole. If you pick up a topo map of Kaiser Wilderness and one of Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP and compare the two locations, you'll see the difference.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Are you set on the west side and/or southern Sierra (you don't say where you are coming from)? I wouldn't particularly recommend Twin Lakes out of Lodgepole given the elevation gain. Most of the trails in Sequoia and Kings Canyon are quite a climb and are more likely to put off a first time backpacker. A few options on the East side would be Cottonwood Lakes, Sabrina Basin, Little Lakes Valley, or further north out of Mammoth, Duck Pass (my trip report from last year: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Further north on the West side, my kids loved Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise Lakes in Yosemite (tough for permits though, trip report: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but my go to trip for introductory backpacking has been Lake Aloha in Desolation Wilderness out of Echo Lake near Tahoe (trip report here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which I've done 3 times with great success for kids as young as 4. Permits are really simple too (book and print online, no need to visit the ranger station).

EDIT: saw in your other post you mentioned coming from LA. I would seriously consider Cottonwood Lakes out of Horseshoe Meadows.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Dinkey Lakes or Kaiser Wilderness would be good beginner trips. Twin Lakes from Sample is dead easy, Potter Pass less so. Nellie Lake is five miles of uphill but gorgeous.

Then there's would Iron Lakes. For more of a challenge for the day, Cora Lakes, or any of the lakes from Clover Meadow trailheads. Hobler Lake from Courtright is a good uphill but short - and good fishing. From the same trailhead you can go out to Devil's Punchbowl for a more challenging outing with good fishing.

In Sequoia, there are places like the Lakes Trail - yeah, it's busy, and the campsites designated, but it gets you almost into the alpine. A day hike up to the top of the ridge gets you views of the Sierra crest and Moose Lake.

East side snobs... there are more easy trips on the west side along the 168 corridor than you can shake a stick at. That won't be as crowded.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

AlmostThere wrote:In Sequoia, there are places like the Lakes Trail - yeah, it's busy, and the campsites designated, but it gets you almost into the alpine. A day hike up to the top of the ridge gets you views of the Sierra crest and Moose Lake.

East side snobs... there are more easy trips on the west side along the 168 corridor than you can shake a stick at. That won't be as crowded.
I agree there's lots of west side places outside SEKI, but coming from the north I'm not as familiar with them. However, I've done the Lakes Trail and though I love the area, and will take my 12 year old kids there now they've done 5+ years of backpacking, its a substantial first day climb (~2500ft) that would likely be too much for a first timer, especially one who isn't very active.

If you are looking at a distance of 3-5 miles, then I would suggest you also make sure that the climb isn't more than ~1000ft total each day. That rules out the vast majority of trips in SEKI. Maybe Seville Lake would be OK, but that's a bit more than 5 miles.

The east side is justifiably popular because there are many trailheads at 9000-10,000ft, where you can get into the high country (albeit not over the passes) without climbing more than another 1000ft.
scrinch
Topix Novice

Post by scrinch »

If you go to Kaiser Twin Lakes, which I recommend, take a look with your son at the outlet of Upper Twin. It's quite a little creek that flows into a lagoon and then straight down into the ground! The metamorphosed limestones there have dissolved and left an underground tunnel that the stream flows into and then out of a couple hundred meters downhill. Quite an interesting little piece of geology. I took my youngest and his cousins there for their first "long" hike.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
TCHN DAD
Topix Novice

Post by TCHN DAD »

Hey thanks!

Great stuff for me to research for future trips. I add these suggestions to my growing list of beginner backpacking trips I am at this point 90 percent sure with all the research I have done, I am going to Twin Lakes in Kaiser. It does seem easier. Trying to make that first backpacking experience with my son a successful one!

I am really thankful to have found this forum. It's been an excellent resource.

To clarify, I am driving up from Los Angeles. So, this trip is on the westside.

Hike On.

Rod
iHartMK
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by iHartMK »

AlmostThere wrote:East side snobs... there are more easy trips on the west side along the 168 corridor than you can shake a stick at. That won't be as crowded.
I love it! "East side snobs"... You couldn't have put it any better. The west side is the best side of the Sierra. Hands Down! All the L.A. sheep love the east side. Because they're used to barren wastelands with no trees.
Living On Kaweah Time
scrinch
Topix Novice

Post by scrinch »

Well I guess you didn't go to Kaiser Twin Lakes since the trails were all closed due to the fire. Where did you end up going?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

East Side? West Side? done both, love em both. Why limit oneself and why is someone who prefers one side over another a snob? I, for one, am glad there are people with different preferences than mine. I am happy that fewer people fish than used to--less competion. I am glad than most people stick to trails--fewer people at off trail destinations. Im really happy that most people like the sierra after the mosquitoes are gone--fewer people everywhere in the backcountry in May June and July. I thank God that people are different. Some recreate in OHVs, ORVs and just plain RVs, some water ski and wakeboard, some sail, some surf, some take pics, some are true photographers, some canoe, some kayak--some do it all. Great! I love it! Go for it what ever your passion or passions. But don't look down on others with different passions--If everone wanted to backpack getting one trip a summer would be a chancy thing,same thing if everyone agreed that the same destinations were the best. By the way, you can have my place in line for Whitney and Halfdome or any permit for a thru hike. None of those are for me but I'm happy as hell to have had E and W. Pinnacle Creeks and a few other places to my self this summer (well I did have to share these places with a good friend.)

Viva la différence

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!