Too Hot to be Good

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Too Hot to be Good

Post by Wandering Daisy »

See the trip area under the mosquito report. I usually do not go backpacking first half of July because of mosquitoes, but this year was different, so maybe conditions were more normal than appeared to me. But, I fear for the poor fish this year. Already, all the lakes except the highest, had very warm water, lots of algae, horrible water quality conditions. Some of the fish looked a bit heat exhausted. I swear that it hardly got to 50 degrees at night, 80's during the day even at 10,500 feet! Hot, hot, hot! Dry, dry dry! The San Joaquin River at John Muir Ranch was mid calf deep. Flowers already look droopy. 85 degrees. I sat in a little deeper pool in the river - too hot to go into the hot springs. Add 85 degrees, south facing slope, sandy, no shade, and the JMT from JMR to Seldon Pass was brutal - likely 95-100 degrees. Last day when I left it was overcast - hope things cool off.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Too Hot to be Good

Post by AlmostThere »

There may be a trend in this - backpacking in bikinis....

It is BEASTLY. I had intended to go climb a dome (not Half Dome) in Yosemite and instead opted for a shorter hike near water last Sunday. Very glad I did. We spent more time in the water than hiking!

Absolutely miserable. And the wilderness on the coast is already to "no stoves" status!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

Yea it's way hot this year, I've been working construction outside here in Bishop!!! Yuck.
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote:
I had intended to go climb a dome (not Half Dome) in Yosemite and instead opted
for a shorter hike near water last Sunday.
Wait till next month or even worse September. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have an awesome trip through Deadman Canyon in August.

Now I'm afraid it will all be dead and brown. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote:
I have an awesome trip through Deadman Canyon in August.
Now I'm afraid it will all be dead and brown.
Alpinemikes recent TR to the area shows plants/bushes still green and water in creek
still flowing well, though that could have been due to the thunderstorms.
Thunderstorms are supposed to continue all thru this weekend so hopefully this rain
will keep things from completely drying out by the time of your trip AT. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org