Northern Yosemite ---- Camping At Rock Island Lake????

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Northern Yosemite ---- Camping At Rock Island Lake????

Post by mshields »

Good Evening,

I have a xc-trip in a few weeks in which I will be traveling by Rock Island Lake; I am considering this site as an overnight location. Was wondering if anybody has camped there and is willing to share any feedback on conditions ?

Thanks
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Northern Yosemite ---- Camping At Rock Island Lake????

Post by TehipiteTom »

Haven't camped there, but I did pass by it on a trip; got some photos here. From what I saw, there should be ample room to camp but it would be pretty exposed (not much in the way of tree cover). Beautiful lake, though.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have also passed the lake, which quite pretty, if open, treeless camping is your
thing, personally prefer the lakes a little lower in the Slide Canyon.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Thanks Gentlemen,

Well, believe it or not Guitar Lake is one of my favorite camp-sites to date (exposed and no tree cover), so I should be good to go. Just wanted to make sure there was no man eating sharks or rabid marmots on site.

Tom, appreciate the pics; I already picked out my spot!
Thanks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Oh, well, you didn't ask about the man-eating marmots. But since you mention them...
;)
Seriously, though...if you're good with that kind of campsite, you'll love Rock Island Lake. I wouldn't mind spending some more time there myself.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I camped there early season a few years back. It was mostly snow-covered! For an interesting day hike go to Crazy Mule Gulch and poke around. It is really wild! I went from Rock Island Lake down to Slide Canyon - steep rock slabs but do-able. You can then to back to the trail and over Mule Pass.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Ultrajen »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 am I camped there early season a few years back. It was mostly snow-covered! For an interesting day hike go to Crazy Mule Gulch and poke around. It is really wild! I went from Rock Island Lake down to Slide Canyon - steep rock slabs but do-able. You can then to back to the trail and over Mule Pass.
Can you give more detail?
shampeon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shampeon »

We did an XC route a couple years back and camped on the north side of Rock Island Lake among the boulders. Then went down to Slide Canyon on the slabs.

Easy camping there, choose how high up the hill you want to camp based on the dryness of the meadows, and the boulders give some wind protection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.