A Failed attempt on Mount Johnson

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A Failed attempt on Mount Johnson

Post by Kerstin »

On October 1st, I tried to hike up Mount Johnson in a day. I was on the trail at 8:30am, which was a little late for this time of year.

I managed to get all the way to the base of the southeast slope before having to turn around due to weather and the fact that I couldn't tell what time it was. My watch broke the night before. I couldn't see the sun either, which is what I sometimes do to estimate the time. Ugh!

I was glad I turned around because it started raining and snowing on my way out. Scrambling on all that wet talus would not have been fun! I never would have made it back to the car before it got dark.

Here's a view looking towards Mount Johnson just before the first small lake in that particular drainage. I had already done about a half-hour of talus hopping:

The southeast slope is around the back of the peak on the left side. The talus seemed to go on forever.

This is the southeast slope of Mount Johnson from my lunch spot, just below my turn-around point:

I took a photo of the highest lake on the way down. It was crystal clear and very cold:

The next time I go up there I'd like to climb the ridge from Treasure Col. I've heard it's a great class 3 climb!

I was disappointed that I didn't make it but the fall color on the South Fork of Bishop Creek more than made up for it!

Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I wish I would have known you were hiking it Sunday :( WLD went home after dinner Saturday. I checked for backup plans, but thought you were hiking Saturday. I would have gone for a peak if I had known. :( Oh well, next time. Fall colors are pretty!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

kerstin - thanks for the pictures and report. Johnson is on my list as you know. If you want company when you go back, please let me know.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kerstin »

Snow Nymph, I wish I'd known you were in the area too! Oh well. My plans changed at the last moment. :o
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Kerstin, everything looks so different when there is no sun shinning. I think you were smart to turn back....Im sure you still had a great hike
The fall colors are beautiful :) it looks like a waterfall up against that slope?