Ralston Peak 9235 Feet 7/21/13

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ralston Peak 9235 Feet 7/21/13

Post by Vaca Russ »

I had spent Saturday night at a lake up by Ralston Peak.
005.JPG
The girls and I woke up Sunday morning and decided to bag Ralston.
030.JPG
The trail up is a pretty grueling trail. Add to that the fact that it got up to 93 degrees in South Lake Tahoe yesterday and you can see why I recommend doing this hike when the weather is cooler.

I dropped my pack once I saw the ammo box on the peak.
043.JPG
For some reason the peak was swarming with flying ants.
045.JPG
The views were spectacular.
046.JPG
047.JPG
048.JPG
The girls had bagged these three peaks three weeks earlier.
049.JPG
It was time to document our achievement.
050.JPG
051.JPG
Thanks for reading my TR.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Ralston Peak 9235 Feet 7/21/13

Post by giantbrookie »

I guessed this from your lake post when you mentioned a trail and 2500' of gain, plus the Deso. sign (which one wouldn't get at the beginning of a trailless route). The "direct" way without the peak is 1700' and totally lacks trail (use trail in very brief stretches but overgrown in too many areas now) but there are funky patches of brush to deal with. Your "high route" is much more scenic, even if it does require more calorie burning.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Yes, I parked across HWY 50 from Sacramento Camp and hiked up the trail.

Maybe you can drive up to Tahoe some weekend and I'll follow you up the x-country route. :D
052.JPG
053.JPG
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fun TR and photos VC. Any photos of the girls on the summit!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

maverick wrote:Fun TR and photos VC. Any photos of the girls on the summit!
Maverick, you want some pictures of the girls at the summit? I'm sorry. My ace photographer was working, so I missed that picture. You are right. We should capture and share that picture!

OK, I'll try to get them up there this weekend and I'll post a picture for you. :thumbsup:

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

maverick wrote:Fun TR and photos VC. Any photos of the girls on the summit!
Maverick,

OK, I took all of the girls up there today. We made it up in record time!
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
Ralston & Tamarack.JPG
Thanks for viewing these photos.

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I was there back in Aug. 2008, approached from Lake of the Woods, and didn't see the ammo box? :confused: Do you know when it was placed up there?

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

FeetFirst wrote:I was there back in Aug. 2008, approached from Lake of the Woods, and didn't see the ammo box? :confused: Do you know when it was placed up there?
Hey FF,

Sport hiked up there again last week and took these pictures of the first page of each register.
P8290834.JPG
P8290836.JPG
So it looks like the box was placed up there this year on June 2.
050.JPG
Thanks,

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Vaca Russ wrote:
Hey FF,

Sport hiked up there again last week and took these pictures of the first page of each register.

So it looks like the box was placed up there this year on June 2.

Thanks,

-Russ
Awesome! Thanks, Russ. I was a bit worried that I go completely blind at elevation. :retard:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.