Backpack Recommendation

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Nozmo King
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Backpack Recommendation

Post by Nozmo King »

I'd like to get some recommedations on good, internal-frame backpacks with 80-90 liter capacity. I've been backpacking for a little over 30 years but have tended to purchase gear that's on the less expensive side. I don't mind spending more this time. I'd like to get a sturdy, lightweight backpack, with comfort as my #1 priority. I'm a slim male & often have trouble with hip belts sliding over my hips on long hikes. Anyhow, at this point in life, I've earned my stripes & wouldn't mind buying a top-of-the-line product. Any recommedations for a middle-aged guy who wants to upgrade his backpack? I'm currently using an REI Mars 80, which is OK, but maybe something significantly better is out there?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpack Recommendation

Post by maverick »

Like shoes you really need to get the fit right. Take your gear to the store, fill
the pack, and then carry it around in the store to see how it feels. Having a
knowledgeable person to help with fit is important. If you find something you
like and purchase from a store like REI you can take it out on a test ride, see
how it preforms on the trail, and if it is not up to par than return it.
The only problem with REI is that their selection is not always the greatest.
Pick up a copy of Backpacker Magazine's Gear Guide Issue or Outside Magazine's
Gear Issue will give you some good ideas on what is out there, but being able to
try them on is a whole different story.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

I've been really happy with my Osprey Aether 70 (they also make an 85). My usual load is 40-50lbs. It's the most comfortable pack i've ever had.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Will the Osprey hold a Bear Vault 500 Horizontally?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

My osprey exos 58 fits a bearvault 500 horizontally.
I'm no suture for my future.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Thanks for the info.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

I have the Osprey Aether 70 and like it. Fits a BV500 horizontally no problem. I had an 80L pack before this and wanted to go smaller and lighter but not UL. I can easily fit everything I need in the Aether for week long trips. You can always strap a couple things on the outside if you want but I fit everything inside and I have room to spare. My typical starting weight is 40 to 50 pounds. It's getting harder to even find the bigger packs anymore. I'm enjoying not carrying as much so you might want to check out your other gear and see if you can go a little smaller and lighter.
Nozmo King
Topix Acquainted

Post by Nozmo King »

Thanks for the recommendations. I bought the Osprey Xenith 88. I've only had it out once but plan on a longer trip in September. I liked it. It kept the weight on my hips better than my old REI Mars pack, & it's well-designed. I still need more time to evaluate it, though, & decide whether it's actually worth the extra expense. I overloaded it with gear & my feet paid the price. I'm going to try to reduce my load for my next journey & see what I think.
sciaticnve
Topix Novice

Post by sciaticnve »

Hey!
I purchased a HMG Porter, got the 3400 model. Love the pack. Broke it in on a 4 day, hike from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows, hiked south via the PCT. weight with food was 24 lbs, love the pack! Let me know if you have any questions! Solid pack!