Black Diamond Trekking poles grip

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Splash
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Black Diamond Trekking poles grip

Post by Splash »

Hi Everyone,

I have a set of BD anti-shock trekking poles that I took on their first 4 day trip. What I found was; that by the end of the day my hands were black from the grips. Never had this problem on day hikes and never had this problem with my cheap walmart brand. Anyone ever encountered this with any brand of poles. I was using Bugaway skeeter spray ( none deet) and sun screen. Maybe this had something to do with it but shouldn't . . Leaving on an 8 day trip and was thinking of using tennis racket grip wrap to keep this from happening.

Splash
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Black Diamond Trekking poles grip

Post by AlmostThere »

I like cork for that reason, as well as the feel of the cork. I wear sun gloves (fingerless) too.

I have had poles with black grips and never had that happen - I wonder too if the chemicals had something to do with it? I'd probably wrap the handles with something.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Have been using BD poles for the last several seasons and have never experienced
this issue. Could be the spray or maybe something else that is chemically reacting
with the grips. Do your own experiement, go on a few day hikes using and not
using the spray and see what happens.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I too have BD poles and never had any black on my hands. Deet will eat plastic I'm betting it was the bug spray.( like everyone else) :thumbsup:
I'm no suture for my future.
Splash
Topix Acquainted

Post by Splash »

Thanks everyone...I know I can't figure it out and don't have time to do multiple taste tests. Pretty much need sunscreen and most likely will need some sketter juice along the way; maybe not as much as over the 4th; using Bugaway.... It is the high sierra afterall.... I think I 'll wrap with racket grip and deal with it when I get back...It shouldn't do this though...hopefully the grip tape won't give be blisters...

Spalsh