Royce Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Royce Lakes

Post by maverick »

Snowblind wrote:
maybe this is due to the dry conditions but I found the snow pretty limited.
Have been over this pass in June with a lot of snow, so as you mentioned this past
weak winter has made it easier this year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

snowblind wrote:I went over the saddle b/t Merriam and Royce recently and really do not understand the need for an ice axe (I know Secor suggests it)...maybe this is due to the dry conditions but I found the snow pretty limited.
There is little doubt that this is a function of two consecutive dry winters. I went over the saddle in August on 1982 (as a part of climbing both Royce and Merriam while moving camp from the Royces to Merriam Lake) and there was so much snow you might argue that an ice axe wasn't necessary (I had one). The reason was that there was so much snow there was abundant runout (ie low angle snow at the bottom) should one fall on the steeper upper slopes (an ice axe would still prevent a lot of involuntary elevation loss, however).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Maybe it'd be a good time to step back and let Elizabeth just tell us a proposed route. We all know we can get to the Royces from any angle.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

rlown wrote:Here's a rough map of the area. Feel free to download it, mark it or use your own map to talk about the area and what you're thinking. Just mark it and repost or use your own. Best to communicate with proposed routes over maps at this point.
Capture.JPG
Russ
I was recently in the area, and this is a good route to follow. I left the trail a bit earlier than this map shows and also headed more west to Royce 2 once I passed by the left side of the tarn. All of this is easy X-country on summer time tundra. There are several waves of hills to get over ie. really steep section followed by a flat section and then another steep section. Very doable with a pack and walking sticks.