Costco down jacket

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Costco down jacket

Post by ERIC »

fishmonger wrote:
TRAUMAhead wrote:
fishmonger wrote: guess that'll happen when you say nothing else in your post.
I linked a BPL thread in that post?
TRAUMAhead wrote:Decent thread on them here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=68095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gee, didn't even see that - looks like part of the header of the post. sorry, but I guess I am not the only one who just dropped down to what looks like the body of the post.
Meh, it happens. I was joking and merely giving my friend Mr. Carter some kindhearted, albeit warranted, grief. Nothing more.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

went to Costco yesterday, no jacket. Seems to be a regional product. Around here, they consider camoflage and blaze orange clothing outdoor gear.

I
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I now have several days in the Kirkland jacket, and also many uses of it as a short-term use outside or between the car and a meeting place, etc... CostCo still has them on the racks at the store near us.

I find the jacket to be an excellent alternative to my Patagonia. The outer material is more durable, and the fit is nearly identical. The pockets are lined, and that's cool. Warmth-wise, they're the same for me. The Kirkland does not have a "stuff-pocket"; the interior pocket one would use for that on the Patagonia is smaller and without a dual-sided zip on the Kirkland. This is the "$65 dollar difference".
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by js hill »

I ordered this jacket from Costco online. The Costco stores nearby didn't carry it. When I first opened it up from the package I was ready to send it back. It didn't look like it would be warm enough when temperatures dropped to near freezing. I live in the SoCal Mtns. at 6500 ft. We have had some very low (single digit) temps this winter so I was able to give the jacket a pretty good testing. With only wearing a long sleeve cotton T-shirt underneath the jacket I stayed comfortably warm on walks and hikes. Needless to say I am sold on this jacket. It appears that Costco has sold out of this jacket for now. When they start carrying it again I want to order one for my wife.
WillieCash
Topix Novice

Post by WillieCash »

JCP Puffer Down Jacket is basically the same thing, available for $32 on line.

I found about it from a hammocking board I am on and wouldn't trade it for the world.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

WillieCash wrote:JCP Puffer Down Jacket is basically the same thing, available for $32 on line.

I found about it from a hammocking board I am on and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Wish I had read this post sooner. I could only find it in a large tall or larger. Great deal, though. And as I'm sure you saw, great reviews.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Similar Calvin Klein jackets are in. Men's $45, women's $40. Not all Costcos have men's, and if they do, then mostly XL and XXL.

Men's medium weighs 370g with the 10g stuff sack. Close to Marmot Zeus medium: 385g. Back is longer by more than 5cm than Zeus. Baffles are twice as wide as Zeus - fewer thin stitched spots, but hopefully down won't migrate and leave part of baffle empty. Unlike Zeus, Costco's cuffs don't have elastic, they are quite open, but with gloves it seems OK. Costco Jacket has breast pocket outside, Zeus doesn't have one, Patagonia down sweater (thinner than both of them) has inside pocket.

Woman's Costco jacket weighs 275g, it is thinner, has no breast pocket, no zippers on pockets, no bottom drawstring. Last year's women's jacket looks different, has pocket zippers, is thicker, and weighs 300g.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Saw those the other day. Didn't appear to be 800 fill like the Kirkland jackets.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Costco jacket lofts higher than Marmot, but it could be due to larger baffles. Marmot Zeus feels firmer - it could be because down is stuffed into narrower baffles or it has higher fill power (800). When pressed to squeeze to similar thickness thickness they feel similar.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I found a costco jacket on e.bay for $50 free shipping! Searched for it since last year , just got it.super stoked!