TR - inexperienced backpacker's trip to Young Lakes 7/14-15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR - inexperienced backpacker's trip to Young Lakes 7/14-15

Post by old and slow »

This is my first trip report so please bear with me as I'm a very inexperienced backpacker and after reading all these exciting, awesome trip reports am by comparison a dull and boring backpacking slacker. Still, I feel obligated to share my own TR first to say thanks to all the folks on HST that provide inspiration & advice to ordinary folk like me (extremely grateful for the entertaining TRs; I live vicariously thru your fantastic adventures) and second to give hope for all the other old, slow and/or less experienced/adventurous hikers out there -- if I can backpack, then just about anyone else can backpack to at least some extent and get the chance to experience the extraordinary beauty of the wilderness experience.

There were 3 generations on this trip: grandpa (me), daughter and grandson. Due to some scheduling problems for the daughter, we could only make for a quick 1 night, 2 day trip to Young Lakes in Yosemite NP. We left the Bay Area at 630 am on Sunday 7/14 and arrived at Lembert Dome trailhead at 1030 am. It was a beautiful crystal clear blue sky day. We started out along the Glen Aulin trail and even though we were accompanied by almost a parade of day hikers and backpackers, we still enjoyed some great scenery (mountain views, granite slopes, rock fields). Soon enough we made a right turn and were on our long trudge up to Young Lakes expectantly looking for Ragged Peak. Other than swarms of mosquitos and annoying black flies, we pretty much had this trail to ourselves; I think we saw maybe 6 other people. After 5 1/2 hours (note: the grandson made it much earlier) I finally arrived at the Lower Young Lake thoroughly exhausted (I really am old and slow) but at the same time exhilarated by the sights in front of me. We set up camp, had dinner, took some photos, told some stories, and soaked up the natural beauty surrounding us --- while at the same time the mosquitos and black flies were soaking us up, feasting on any open patch of skin that might be available to them. Thank goodness we all had head nets.

Next morning, after the proverbial breakfast of oatmeal and hot chocolate, we left to explore Middle and Upper Young Lakes. It was amazing. Neither words nor pictures can adequately describe the overwhelming beauty of the setting of Upper Young Lake. We were the only people at the upper lake and stayed for maybe 2 hours enjoying the magnificence of this breathtaking vista, the 360 degree scenery at our disposal and our good fortune to collectively experience something this wonderful. Great and unforgettable family time for sure! Back at camp, we packed up and headed back to the trailhead, this time via the Dog Lake trail. More amazing scenery in every direction as we hiked through a gorgeous meadow (near Dingley Creek) taking in the sights of the Cathedral Range and some of the other iconic peaks of Yosemite and the Sierra. After another 5 1/2 hour hike, we arrived back at the trailhead (both tired and wired at the same time ) and started off on the long drive home.

Some highlights of the trip: beautiful scenery, serious exercise, amazing family time (it was great that the daughter and grandson did not have phone access and so were not checking their smart phone every few minutes),

Some negatives: mosquitos, fatigue (perhaps age, lack of fitness, the altitude or a combination), serious loss of appetite (I really had to force myself to eat up there)

Overall fantastic trip; can't wait to get back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - inexperienced backpacker's trip to Young Lakes 7/14-15

Post by Vaca Russ »

Old and Slow,

Thank you for posting your TR. Information sharing is a theme of HST.

Sometimes altitude affects my appetite as well. If I don't acclimate (and it sounds like you didn't) I have a serious loss of appetite.

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
hal
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by hal »

Here's a tip that worked for me to solve my appetite loss, especially on the first day out: I always started dinner with a cup of miso soup, the powdered kind in a packet that reconstitutes into a cup of hot water. And then eat as much pasta as possible to recharge your engine. You can dry the pasta sauce into a leather, roll it in plastic, and reconstitute it in hot water with no problem.

Nice photos!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you very much for sharing you trip and beautiful pictures with us
Old and Slow! Really like that alpine glow shot. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

Great pics! Very green. I also have to acclimate or else the altitude gets to me. Its unfair when others can drive up from sea level and accomplish what my next day and a half of travel is in an afternoon but whatever its just not me. Does miso soup really help with that?
hal
Topix Novice

Post by hal »

There's no substitute for training and acclimating. But miso soup helped generate my appetite for dinner.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Great report! I love miso. Didn't know it helped w/ altitude. Just figured it replaced electrolytes.
For pasta i never bring sauce just Parmesan maybe a little olive oil. Good tips Hal.
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Russ, I know what you mean about acclimating to the altitude. I know everybody is different but I definitely need to spend some at higher elevation before taking on a tough hike. Next time I plan on spending a night at the backpacker campground before hitting the trail.
Hal, I will try the miso soup, sounds easy and good. Pasta too.
Maverick, Millertime and Hermit -- thanks for the kind words, suggestions and encouragement!

Chris
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Very nice TR and wonderful photos O&S. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Nowadays I almost always spend at least one night at the trail head to acclimate, and even then I often feel a bit out of sorts the first day of backpacking, so your experience doesn't sound atypical for most folks, I'd wager. Don't compare yourself to the really young bucks that can go from sea level one day, hike over 20 miles at altitude the next and then drive back home that night. Yeah...I did just that...back in 1986...but not now! Sounds like a great trip, nice pics and a solid TR. Slow and steady helps you appreciate the whole experience a lot more than those than are so concerned with speed. More power to ya!

Cheers!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;