Royce Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Royce Lakes

Post by oleander »

Hi,

What are the reasonable x-country approaches to Royce Lakes? (We are comfortable with Class 2 or not-too-hairy Class 3.)

Looks pretty straightforward approaching from the north or the east. But what if we're approaching from the south (up the French Canyon trail), or from the upper Merriam Lakes basin or the Bear Lakes basin? Contour lines look pretty nasty both at the lower Royce Lakes outlet into French Canyon and on the passes over to Merriam or Bear Lakes.

- Elizabeth
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Royce Lakes

Post by Vaca Russ »

Elizabeth,

We have hiked to Royce #4 from Honeymmon Lake. It is a piece of cake. Just take the trail about a mile past Honeymoon to about the 11,000 foot contour line and go x-country south over the little ridge with the tarn.

The rest of the route is pretty straight forward. I remember a little boulder hopping but nothing that would stop you.

As for answering you question..."approaching from the south (up the French Canyon trail), or from the upper Merriam Lakes basin or the Bear Lakes basin?"...maybe somebody else can help out. I know RiseToADry may have recently studied something maybe in that area, kinda, if you know what I mean. :wink: :wink:

Hope you have fun. It is a beautiful place!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

check out viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're not going up the outlet of the Royces. Pic 6 I think. I agree with Russ that if you're in the french trail, you're going up and around. If you're at the Bears, there are passes there to do it.

Another Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You can enter from the southeast after heading up the trail a short ways
towards Pine Creek Pass and then skirt the outlet creek emanating from
the smaller lake east of Lake 11656.
From Merriam Lake you can directly get to Royce Lakes via Royce-Merriam
Saddle, but even though it is a class 2 it has a steep, snow filled chute on its
northeastern side that should only be done by folks with ice axe
experience and good self arrest knowledge.
Feather Pass up from Merriam Lake will get you into the Bear Lakes Basin
and either Granite Lake Pass (the more difficult one, especially with snow)
or Italy Pass back to Granite Park region. If you decided to use Italy Pass you'll
have to include another class 2 pass (Dancing Bear Pass) to gain direct access
to Jumble Lake beneath the pass.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Here's a rough map of the area. Feel free to download it, mark it or use your own map to talk about the area and what you're thinking. Just mark it and repost or use your own. Best to communicate with proposed routes over maps at this point.
Capture.JPG
Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Coming up French Canyon, the easy way is to go almost to Pine Creek pass and then aim for the lakes. Very gentle. From Merriam the easiest is to drop down into French canyon, then same as above. Maybe a little more elevation to gain/lose, but it's easy walking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Or why not use our very own HST Map which includes all the x-country passes
in the area. HST Map
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I camped in Granite Park at almost exactly 11,000 near the trail. Then, on a dayhike, walked nearly due south and then SE to reach Lake 11725. It was fairly easy, got steep in a few sections, but not even class 2 in my opinion.

Then wandered downstream along the chain of Lakes until just above the falls.

From the falls we simply contoured our way back to Pine Creek Pass. It was easy. The Lupine was spectacular on these open, wet, south facing hillsides.

Based on this experience I would say the easiest way would be to go to Pine Creek Pass and contour over the the lakes. But going from Granite Park at 11,000 is quite doable. I have not tried going directly uphill from Honeymoon.
rams
Topix Acquainted

Post by rams »

Don't know if this helps, but it shows some of the terrain below Royce Lakes basin in French Canyon. Merriam Peak is the obvious, prominent one on the left (taken 2 weeks ago from Pilot Knob). Pine Creek Pass is either on the very far right or just a bit out of the picture on the right.
merriam.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snowblind
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowblind »

I went over the saddle b/t Merriam and Royce recently and really do not understand the need for an ice axe (I know Secor suggests it)...maybe this is due to the dry conditions but I found the snow pretty limited. YMMV.

The walk from French Canyon via Pine Creek pass is very easy and straight-forward (class 1). I found the lowest Royce lake the most interesting.