Sequoia Hiking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sequoia Hiking

Post by AfterSeven »

Hi

I'm exploring some Sequoia Groves in late Oct, early November ...2 - 3 day blitzes Thurs Night to Sunday and could use a little help. The groves are "wilderness" which means some cross-country. Peaks like Castle Rocks, Homers Nose, Cahoon Rock, Paradise Pk. and Dennison Pk. are within strike distance from the groves I have in mind...some groves actually sit at the base of 1500' vertical granite monoliths. I am looking for sequoias....as in the really really big ones.....and I need help measuring, exploring and keeping the bears and mountain lions at bay. Think of it as a woodsy sort of peak bagging with more furry mammals and less people.

Does that interest anyone or am I whistling in the wind? Lemme know.

PC

By the way I have 1 of 2 sets of maps on earth that pinpoint the locations of the really really giant sequoias....so that makes the effort a bit easier.
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted

Post by langenbacher »

Sorry I can't go, but I want to say it's a great idea (especially if you throw in Homer's Nose)! I've done some grove bagging twice this year already, and I loved it. My wife and I spent most of the day hiking around Redwood Mountain Grove August 12 - It was awesome. We actually saw fewer people (0) the next day hiking through the Giant Forest from General Sherman to Crescent Meadow, as long as we were more than 1/8 mile from pavement.

My wife thinks there should be a "grove list" for grove baggers. I wish I had a map of all the groves.

Harry
SEKI http://travel.webshots.com/album/553196376anydcS

http://Langenbacher.org
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Post by AfterSeven »

Grove bagging, lol. Havent heard that one before...I'll tell you, you have a better chance of soloing the East face of Whitney than soloing some of the 50-60 degree dirt slopes on the South Fork of the Kaweah! Some of the low approaches can be steep loose treacherous and loaded with hidden goodies like snakes and poison oak.

Liked the pics of Redwood Mountain...havent made it there yet.

Heres a grove list for you

http://www.sierranevadaphotos.com/geogr ... s_list.asp

It has maps too! at the bottom links, but they are pretty rudimentary.

Next time you go grove bagging give me the heads up as I'm sure I can dig up some stuff to help you get around the groves....
I know a few people who've been at it a few decades, research biologists and the like , and the stories of getting to some of these places are epic. The head guy at Sequoia has never gotten to Coffeepot Canyon....there's just too much stuff in the way...
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Another interesting "old" book on the subject that originally got me hooked on the groves was called "Big Trees". Published in the 30's, I think. This thread has re-kindled an old itch. Good luck and leave em like you found em. "Leave no sign of your passing" jls
gdurkee
Founding Member

Sequoia Groves

Post by gdurkee »

AfterSeven:

Sounds like you know some SEKI folks. Have you talked to Nate Stephenson? He's been to many of the Sequoia Groves, especially the out of the way ones. Send me a private note and I'll give you his email.

It's a worty project. Good luck.

George
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Post by AfterSeven »

Hi Gdurkee & Aldefarte,

As for old books on the Sequoias, I have seen some on-line at $1700 from rare book dealers. It's just plain hard and pricy to get access to books that have been out of print for 50+ years. Sounds like the "Big Trees" book would be interesting...I'm going to see the Seki rare book collection soon...hopefully they'll have a copy.
As for Nate Stephenson. I don't "know" him but I have spoken to him at length and he has been very helpful. I do have his e-mail btw. I was referring to him re: Coffeepot Canyon (See above) Thanx for the info!