Graveyard Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Graveyard Lakes Basin

Post by mountaineer »

Went into my favorite area in August. Graveyard Lakes has been my most frequented destination. This time, I did a nearly complete traverse of the ridges and peaks surrounding the basin. Unfortunately, my $450 lens took a dump and none of my pictures from the traverse turned out. However, before it went on the fritz, I was able to get some good reflection shots of the lakes. Here are some of them.

Click on http://www.sierramountainphotography.com/id29.html for the complete page of photos.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

You've got some beautiful photos! The sillouettes, and pics of your dad, reflections . . . awesome!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I've been to that area a bunch too. In fact, a trip thru Cascade Valley and over Silver Pass was my first high sierra trip back in the 60's!Grin
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

The upper lake, have you ever hiked to the east end and looked towards Little Lakes Valley? All those named peaks to the west of it are gorgeous.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

How about a story about how you damaged the lens. We photographers of course always worry about that and I am always interested in hearing about how it happens. I've dropped a few in my time though only damaged one fatally. Except it was a $900 lens.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Very nice images, I especially like the meadow shot! I think I'll camp there next summer. It looks like a sweet place to wait for magic lighting! I've been to the Devil's Bathtub a zillion times (it's such a nice, pretty, easy hike to take friends/family on a first backpacking trip), and I've climbed Graveyard Peak (even with my dogs!) and looked down on Graveyard Lakes, but I've never been there yet. I've always wanted to, but with so many destinations on my list I just haven't done it yet. I really would like to take a week+ and spend some time at Graveyard Lakes and then go beyond to Peter Pande Lake and all the lakes in the basins behind Graveyard Lakes.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?phot ... 78&size=lg
My dog Heidi on the summit of Graveyard Peak.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

what beautiful pictures! I love the meadow.. So many pretty places in the Sierra to go to & not enough time. Buck I love the picture of Heidi!!
Thanks for sharing
:D
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

hikerduane wrote:The upper lake, have you ever hiked to the east end and looked towards Little Lakes Valley? All those named peaks to the west of it are gorgeous.
Yes, I climbed straight to the summit of the peak above the upper lake. Mt. Tom and Basin Mtn. to the east seem so close you could touch them and the peaks to the west are spectacular.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

SSSdave wrote:How about a story about how you damaged the lens. We photographers of course always worry about that and I am always interested in hearing about how it happens. I've dropped a few in my time though only damaged one fatally. Except it was a $900 lens.
Don't know. It was a Sigma 17-35 and the power aperture ring had just gone bad. $150 to fix it.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Buck Forester wrote:Very nice images, I especially like the meadow shot! I think I'll camp there next summer. It looks like a sweet place to wait for magic lighting! I've been to the Devil's Bathtub a zillion times (it's such a nice, pretty, easy hike to take friends/family on a first backpacking trip), and I've climbed Graveyard Peak (even with my dogs!) and looked down on Graveyard Lakes, but I've never been there yet. I've always wanted to, but with so many destinations on my list I just haven't done it yet. I really would like to take a week+ and spend some time at Graveyard Lakes and then go beyond to Peter Pande Lake and all the lakes in the basins behind Graveyard Lakes.
There is a great campsite amongst the trees just to the left of the edge of the picture with plenty of firewood around. Gorgeous place!

You didn't take your dogs to the actual summit of Graveyard did you? Those summit blocks had me a little nervous.

By far, the Graveyard Lakes is my favorite. The best time to go is after Labor Day in September. No skeeters or people. Kind of a bad time for thunderstorms though.