TR: July 4th weekend - Lundy Lakes trail with kids

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

TR: July 4th weekend - Lundy Lakes trail with kids

Post by overheadx2 »

I took my brother, his two girls (8 and 11 years old) and my wife on our annual Fourth of July backpacking trip. We went to East Lake last year and had a good time, but found it a little crowded, so we decided to try Lundy lakes Trail up to Oneida Lake.Image
The trail was an old jeep trail that probably serviced the old Lundy mine. As with most jeep trails, this one was pretty steep without any switchbacks. The trail was approx. 4 miles long with an elevation gain of 1800 feet so it wasn’t to bad. Image
Camping space was limited, but we found a spot for our tents on the east side of the lake.Image
Due to a good breeze, the mosquitoes were only about a 1 most of the time. There was a may fly hatch so the fishing was pretty good for some descent brookies and rainbows to 13 inches (most were around 10”). The following day we did a day hike to an unnamed lake about a mile up the canyon, and the fishing was nonstop for brookies around 8 to 10 ".ImageImage
That night we cooked up some fish for the girls and hit the bags early.Image
The last day we were up early, and on our way out by 8:30. We hit the trail head around 11:00 and had lunch in mammoth with a stopover at the snow creek athletic center for a relaxing dip in the pool and jaccuzzi.
There was only one other couple camped at the lake, so it felt as if we had it all to ourselves. It’s a great little hike for a new or younger packer.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: July 4th weekend - Lundy Lakes trail with kids

Post by Vaca Russ »

Overhead,

Thanks for the great TR. This looks like an interesting place to take some kids. 8 and 11 are good ages to start!

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Great to read that your trip went well, and it looks like the family was having
a good time. Thanks for the photos to!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Nice. Having 2 young kids who love to get out under the stars, I'm partial to TR's like these. Good times!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. Oneida is an overlooked gem. I think it benefits from being on a dead end spur trail. I am glad to see the fish size at Oneida is still nice, rather than it getting overrun with brookies that reproduce too well and stunt themselves, as they did long ago at the upper lake (the upper lake is sometimes known as Ada Lake). My last visit to this basin was in 1992.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;