Mount Humphreys

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Mount Humphreys

Post by KathyW »

We did an overnight trip to climb Mount Humphreys last weekend. We were blessed with beautiful weather and a breeze that kept the mosquitoes away. The pics, map, and some arrows on photos to show the route:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... &k=NFTbg8X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Mount Humphreys

Post by giantbrookie »

Very nice report and photos. That is certainly on the Sierra's finest. I've never had the nerve to do it, though, as much as I've admired it.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Great pics! I really want to climb that peak sometime soon.

Coincidentally, the same day you posted this, a friend asked me if I wanted to climb Mt. Humphreys with him. Alas, I already have a trip planned for the same weekend.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Wow Kathy, great photos and fantastic TR. Looks as thought the three of you had a wonderful time on the mountain.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Wow, great pics! Thanks for sharing views that I will never behold in real life. When in the area again, I will enjoy the views of Mount Humphreys from the relative safety of the lower elevations within Humphreys Basin.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks Everyone for checking out my photos.

If you head up Humphreys the way we did, It's not a bad idea carry a 30m rope and the rest of the gear you will need to rappel, plus don't head up the route without sticky approach shoes. I don't think I could have gotten up without the sticky shoes and I'm really glad we were able to rappel down those difficult sections instead of having to downclimb them. Everyone's skill and comfort level is different; so some might find the route easy and other might find it difficult, but it never hurts to be prepared.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Shawn - Now I still need to go back and try Ritter.

The weather doesn't look so good for this weekend, but I might go back next weekend and backpack out to Lake Catherine and do Banner and Davis - that way I can look at the route up Ritter from the Banner/Ritter saddle. I'll likely end up doing Ritter from Lake Ediza eventually; so Ritter will continue to stay on the list and maybe someday I'll get to it.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Kathy - Your way ahead of me; that looks to be a fine plan.

Coincidentally I have been considering heading over there the same weekend (not firmed up yet). Unfortunately my work schedule right now only allows for long day hikes on the east side (round trip + hike = 2 days).

If I do get out I'll let you know on the remote chance we'd see each other on the trail.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

KathyW wrote:Thanks Everyone for checking out my photos.

If you head up Humphreys the way we did, It's not a bad idea carry a 30m rope and the rest of the gear you will need to rappel, plus don't head up the route without sticky approach shoes. I don't think I could have gotten up without the sticky shoes and I'm really glad we were able to rappel down those difficult sections instead of having to downclimb them. Everyone's skill and comfort level is different; so some might find the route easy and other might find it difficult, but it never hurts to be prepared.
Did you need rope-up (or set anchors) for the climb?
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Going up is okay without protection, but going down is harder. There were rappel stations set up when we were up there, but you we carried some webbing and rappel rings just in case.