Ideal Backpacking Partner?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ideal Backpacking Partner?

Post by Ross939 »

Any time you hike in a group of three or more you're always going to have some kind of group dynamic. You're going to have the know-it-all who thinks he's a physician, a mechanic, a chef and the second coming of Andrew Skurka. You'll probably have the doom and gloom dude who's sure it's gonna rain and you're not going to make it out alive. Hopefully if these are people you've gotten to know over the years, you'll know their idiosyncrasies and they will make the trip that much more interesting.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ideal Backpacking Partner?

Post by Vaca Russ »

Ahem! There are certain attributes about this hiking partner that far out weigh anything yet mentioned. :rock:
2Sport Trailhead.JPG
8Going In.jpg
9aSport.jpg
11Sport Grove.JPG
17Sport touching summit.JPG
Agassiz.JPG
Jobs Sister.JPG
Rubicon Reservoir Dam.jpg
These girls are fun as well.
zgirls.JPG
But I always prefer to have my #1 Girl with me. :D
zzFinal.jpg
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I'm pretty sure I can't invite "Sport" on one of my trips. Wife would not approve. :D

Your other girls, yes. Bubba would be right at home with them. Gotta love a dog as a hiking partner. they never take anything personally.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Folks already know my answer to this one. Of course my wife is my no. 1 backpacking partner through more trips than I can count (plus fishing something like 600 different backcountry lakes with me). I am fortunate enough to have married someone who was capable of getting to any spot in the Sierra and enjoying it. If Judy and I hold together long enough I hope my kids will also qualify as ideal backpack partners but they are nowhere on Judy's level yet in terms of hiking toughness. Yes, I have been lucky: my no. 1 mountaineering partner was my dad and my no. 1 backpacking and fishing partner is my wife (who is also my no. 1 drinking buddy and co-brewer, too).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have had many backpacking partners and NONE of them were "ideal". In fact I probably would not enjoy going with a clone of myself. Each had their good points and bad points. That is just how humans are! I am less fussy about backpack partners than I was about climbing partners, who actually hold your life in their hands. I am pretty obsessive about trip planning, so most people I go with are the type who do not mind that I already have put together a route. However, I do enjoy just going along with someone else's plan - kind of nice to not have to think about it - just go along for the ride. One thing I insist on is that we stick together or if hiking separately, have frequent meeting spots. Nothing worse than having your hiking partner "go missing". Some of my best trips were with my very competent outdoorsman manic-depressive friend- yes I had to put up with a few depressive moments, but then you could not beat his enthusiasm when manic. I have had good trips with newbies too. I guess my only requirement is that my backpack partner not be a whiner/complainer and share in the work. If they are slow, I just slow down; if they hike faster, I just still go my pace and we plan to meet at regular intervals. I appreciate partners who share the cooking chores. Chatty or quiet - does not much matter as long as the chatty ones know when to button it up.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Chatty or quiet - does not much matter as long as the chatty ones know when to button it up.
That cracked me up!