Bishop To South Lake?? July 17 2013

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bishop To South Lake?? July 17 2013

Post by alpinemike »

I'm starting a 7 day trip through Evolution Basin and Humphrey's Basin on the 17th of July. If anyone is in Bishop or going through Bishop to South Lake on the 17th I would really love to hitch a ride. I'll offer money. If not could anyone give me some advice on the best way to hitch to South Lake from Bishop..or if there are any shuttles I could take?

Any Help is greatly appreciated.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Bishop To South Lake?? July 17 2013

Post by rlown »

alpinemike wrote:I'm starting a 7 day trip through Evolution Basin and Humphrey's Basin on the 17th of July. If anyone is in Bishop or going through Bishop to South Lake on the 17th I would really love to hitch a ride. I'll offer money. If not could anyone give me some advice on the best way to hitch to South Lake from Bishop..or if there are any shuttles I could take?

Any Help is greatly appreciated.
Ok. A sign works. I've seen others do it. I haven't been a hitchhiker, I haven't picked up one as there hasn't been an opportunity to do so. There are people on this board from Bishop. The local Bishop bars or restaurants might be a good start. The money is a good thing, as is a meal and a drink.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Perfect..thank you. I'm hoping someone will see this that lives in Bishop and will be kind enough to provide a ride. I had a cousin going on this trip with me..but about 2 days ago he told me he couldn't make it so now I'm stuck without a ride to the trailhead.

Is there a particular place to stand on the road with me sign to a get a ride? Should I be on 168 or Main street you think?

Thank you.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

If you're getting your permit @the bishop ranger station you may be able to meet a fellow back packer going up that way
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A sign works well, and offering some gas money. As mention their are some
members who live in Bishop who may chime in with ideas or can even help out.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org