Pine creek mine

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Pine creek mine

Post by The hermit »

Does anyone know if you can park at the mine? Is it still open and functioning? Seems like it would save a little distance and more important elevation. Thanks in advance
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pine creek mine

Post by maverick »

You park at the trailhead (Pine Lakes) and walk up the mine road for about 2 miles, mines
are to your left up the hill.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

In other words locked gate at the trailhead. Is there any traffic goin up...maybe hitch a ride if youre lucky?
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

The mines are closed and the only people left are security folks and I doubt they would be willing to give anyone a ride. All the same, the trail to the pass is on the south side of the canyon and the mine is on the north, so it wouldn't help to gain elevation, only to be going in the wrong direction. The road you walk up on the south side of the canyon is an old mining road, but to mines that were abandoned a long time ago.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Maverick's description is for the trail that goes toward Pine Lake and he mentions the Brownstone Mine.

Are you by any chance asking about the trail that goes toward Morgan Pass (or Peppermint Pass)? The Tungsten Mine there has not been operating, but last year we saw a worker in a truck arrive to the buildings at the bottom. Map.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I was asking about the pine creek trail. Thanks for the responses! That really clears things up. I wonder how many trails are old roads? There is an old truck or wagon frame in little lakes Valley so the road went over morgan pass at some point. Cool history in that area.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

The hermit wrote:I was asking about the pine creek trail. Thanks for the responses! That really clears things up. I wonder how many trails are old roads? There is an old truck or wagon frame in little lakes Valley so the road went over morgan pass at some point. Cool history in that area.
You need to look at all the equipment left at the hanging valley mine, amazing amount of stuff.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Any pictures of either Pine or Hanging mine equipment?
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

See:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:Any pictures of either Pine or Hanging mine equipment?
I have pictures somewhere, I'll have to look. There is a great book called " Mine in the sky" all about hanging valley and pine creek mines. My father-in-law owns the hanging valley mine.
I'm no suture for my future.