Bear lakes basin - Sep 29 - Oct 1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tory8411
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tory8411 »

if you click on the link, then my name and then single photos you can see the lake, and the fish.

Thanks.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

tory8411 wrote:if you click on the link, then my name and then single photos you can see the lake, and the fish.
Thanks.
Thanks for the tidbit. I actually had that little lake in my sights for a trip early this season, along with the Geraldines, Twins, and the ever-reliable Spanish Lakes. The fact that's a rainbow in a lake that probably doesn't have natural reproduction may in fact mean that the lake receives a few fingerlings every now and then. If it isn't be air dropped, there wouldn't have been any drops since 2000, which usually translates to fishless 6 years out. Too bad about small ones in the Geraldines (small in the lower one, too?). I was hoping they'd be better.

Best of luck in Bear Basin. I'm pretty sure you'll have your first golden (and then some) under your belt by the end of the trip, and there is also a good chance you'll catch some good sized ones.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

A belated plug for Bear Lakes Basin -- it's one of the greatest spots in the Sierras. My only caveat is that I absolutely loathed the East Fork trail from JMT to Seven Gables Lakes. It stays high above the creek for no reason at the beginning. Then, near the top, it sort of peters out and ends up in brush. It's not clear when to cross the creek (which might avoid some of the brush) -- there seem to be sketchy use trails on both sides of it.

I much prefer cross-countrying in over the pass between Gemini and Seven Gables, although that would make it a longer trip if you're starting at Lake Edison (rather than Florence).

Thank god for the East side, where you can enter via Italy Pass or Feather Pass.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Tory, sounds like you've chosen Seven Gables...have fun on your trip. You will catch some goldens I assure you.

Quentinc brings up a good point (well two, it is an awesome spot) about the use trail to Seven Gables. I was actually somewhat frustrated because I expected this section to be quicker than it actually was - normally wouldn't have cared but it being a 3 day trip I was ancy to get there. If you really want to practice your route finding, don't read this ;) Keep an eagle eye out for cairns and the use trail. As you head up the lower part of the use trail, it will cross the creek from north to south around here. Then recross to the northeast side of the stream about here. Then recross just below a falls here and then you should go around the west side of the lake north of Stub Lake. What frustrated me was my map, which looked like the travel was easy, but in reality somewhat complex (but I guess fun at the same time :D )
Have fun
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Post by tory8411 »

Thanks Quintinc and tb.
So are you saying I've got to go through the seven gables and vee to get to ursa and such? Because it looks like there is another draw to the north that makes a more direct route. Or, are you recommending I fish Vee and seven gables instead of those other bearnamed lakes?
T
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

tory8411 wrote:Thanks Quintinc and tb.
So are you saying I've got to go through the seven gables and vee to get to ursa and such? Because it looks like there is another draw to the north that makes a more direct route. Or, are you recommending I fish Vee and seven gables instead of those other bearnamed lakes?
T
Well, Seven Gables Lakes, that is (not the peak, of course). Yes, this is far more direct than detouring north via L Italy and having to do some climbing to go through any one of several cols to get into Bear Basin. Historically Vee and some of the "Bears" have yielded the bigger fish. There's no doubt you'll catch a golden anyway, but big ones are always nicer. My personal favorite in the basin is Bearpaw, but other folks may have different opinions. I last visited the region in 1992 with my wife in a 3-day trip from the east side (Pine Creek) on which we went directly to Black Bear L. on day one (via an off trail col from Granite Park, a place that also has at least one lake with big goldens). While that may be (is) the express route into the basin, the excess driving time from Fresno to Bishop/Pine Creek vs Fresno to Bear Creek diversion dam may erase any potential time advantages gained on the shorter, but strenuous (~5400' of gain after adding in some minor ups and downs) east side hike. For westside Fresno entry, the approach via Bear Creek and Seven Gables is the way to go.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Not to mention that a hike from Pine Creek to Black Bear Lake in one-day is an absolutely amazing feat. My hat is off to you and your wife, GB.

Tory -- as a non-fisher, I don't which lakes are the best in that regard. But Vee Lake is surely the most beautiful spot in the basin. And one of the more beautiful spots on the planet.
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Post by tory8411 »

:D :D :D
What a spot! Thanks for all of the help!! I wish I brought my camera now (it was one of the last items that didn't make the final cut because of my tent weight :( ) I have to say, it was a neat experience going alone. With all the anxiety I started feeling, I was surprised at how quickly it started going away.
Day 1
I got to the trailhead Thursday night around 1am and slept in the truck. I think that helped tremendously. I had been drinking a gallon of water a day for the previous ten days to try and get hydrated, but I think getting up there the night before really helped. I hit the trailhead about 8am, a little later than I wanted but figured I'd travel at about 70% of how I felt and see how far I could get. Didn't fish at all on the way up, just wanted to make good time. I got to the junction with the JMT at 3hrs15min. Stopped for 45min lunch by the creek. Then trucked up to the Seven Gables junction. Passed a couple coming out of Sandpiper and a solo making a loop out of Florence Lake. Got to the Seven Gables turnoff at 1:30pm (10.8miles) and felt surprisingly well, so I headed up. I committed to setting up camp by 4pm no matter where I was. This trail gave me a little anxiety because it was a little harder to follow and I really didn't have any distance markers to gauge how fast/far I was going. I was surprised at how often the trail left the creek (kind of disappointing, I agree). Still magnificent though. Got to Stub Lake and it was 4pm so I stuck with my plan and pitched up (too bad, it wasn't too much farther). After setting up, I fished a little before dinner and bagged my first golden, thanks everyone. I do believe it is my favorite Sierra trout. They are much more cagy than the other species I think. Amazing colors.
Day 2
Day hiked through the basin and really missed my camera. I need a solo tent for sure now.
Day 3
Left camp around 840am and found the trail much easier to follow coming out. Fished as much of the creek as I could and just planned not to stop for lunch. I wanted to hit the truck by 5. Thought I might be able to accomplish the Sierra Slam in one day after I caught my first brookie of the day. I know there are browns and rainbows in there as well. Unfortunately though, I stuck to my plan of time and left that adventure for another day. (Something to look forward to :D ) Made it to the truck at 502pm and completed my first solo.
Some of my takeaways:
ANXIETY: I was surprised at how the nervousness seemed to fade with time. Especially at night.
FIRE: I used to need a fire, some form of comfort. This trip, I thought about it differently, a fire would be work. First, I'd had to stop a lot lower (which means less fish time, colder nights). Gather wood, then I'd have to properly douse it, all time consuming. Also, I hear they attract the critters. I didn't even remotely consider it.
IPOD: I used to hike about 40% of the time with music, especially up the passes. I only used it at night to help go to sleep. I never once used it on the trail. Don't know why, either I wanted to be more alert, or maybe just be more with my self.
STEPS: I noticed I was a lot more careful where I put my feet. At first it was a subconscious thing, until I noticed it. I used to just go.
PACE: Thanks to Shane who is the director of TrailCrew, I think 70% is my new mantra. I had energy and pace for days.
LOCATION: One of my favorites. I'd also like to spend a few days exploring the valley along the JMT there. What a neat area. I found my first whole arrowhead along Bear Creek last year and would love to explore that area more.

Thanks again for all of your help. I am so pumped for next year!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

You were in shape judging by your mph. I'm glad you really experienced the outdoors, I wish more could.

Don't tell anyone about the arrowhead, you aren't supposed to pick them up.
Piece of cake.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Seven Gables Area

Post by cmon4day »

Tory,

I'snt the 7 gables basin just awesome! I was there the week of 9/18.
We came in over Ruskie Pass from Merriam Lake. Did you get a chance to hike up to Vee Lake? The views and fishing were awesome. We camped just above the oblong lake near the creek that comes from Vee Lake. We saw Stub Lake but did not venture over there.

The trip down the East Fork of Bear Cr. was enjoyable. Instead of using the use trail, we pretty much made our own way down. Eventually, tying back into the trail. We then went up to Rose L. and camped there before going up and over Crazy Pass down into the Hooper Basin. From there we dropped down back to Florence L. where we started the trip 7 days prior.

Will post pictures as soon as I can figure it out.

Vic