Lillian Lake Loop, Advice Request

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Lillian Lake Loop, Advice Request

Post by sheperd80 »

-Experience Level 2, but taking a newbie with me
-Staying 1 night
-3 people total
-Main Interests: fishing, scenery, mosquitos :-P (from reading TRs it sounds like I chose a good trail for that)

This weekend will be my first time camping overnight in a wilderness area (Ansel Adams) and I had some questions.

1. I didnt get permits in advance (lesson learned). Clover Meadow Station has spots left but it doesnt open until 8am which means getting permits really slows us down! Anybody ever go without? I prefer to play by the rules but I just hate to waste so much daylight. It could be 9 before we hit the trail when id prefer to start at 5 or 6. We'll probably just suck it up and get them but I thought id ask anyway.

2. We plan to take Fernandez Trailhead to Vanderburg, then Stanford, then Lillian to camp. If time allows we might hit Chittenden too. Seems like a good route that will allow a lot of fishing on the way in. Then next day we will leave via the northern trail for a change of scenery. Any advice or opinions on this route?

3. I cant find any clear regulations about collecting firewood in wilderness areas. Is it against the rules to cut/split/burn stuff thats already on the ground like Yosemite?

Any other advice is welcomed, thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by sheperd80 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lillian Lake Loop, Advice Request

Post by maverick »

Hi Shepherd80,

See if this helps, and answers your questions:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7039&p=49414#p49408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/pa ... rdb5212436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Sorry, but you are planning to hike past three or four lakes and fish them all as you go?

How long are you going to fish each lake, 30 minutes? Seems like a hard way to do things.

We did this trip in reverse in 2011, and you will find people at each of these lakes, My suggestion is to pick one and fish it. Go there, camp, and fish mornings and evenings, when the trout are more likely to be feeding. Mid-day bite is usually slower anyway

And get the permit.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Well I thought we would just check out Vanderburg and a couple of the Stanford lakes, and if any of them are good, hang there awhile and fish before heading to camp. I dont imagine any extensive fishing at any of them. But if were not hitting the trail until well after 8 then we'll just have to play it by ear. Id like to make it to camp well before sundown.

Are all the lakes in the area usually crowded? What if we went to Shirley, Lady or Chittenden Instead?

Thanks for the input.

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Stanford Lakes are rather small, shallow, and unimpressive, IIRC. Lillian and Vandenburg are popular camping sites. If you want solitude, you'll have to go to lakes that aren't on a through trail, or are farther than a single day hike from the trailhead.

We liked Rutherford Lake a lot...and it's smaller companion Anne Lake. We've heard nice things about Joe Crane lake...and really liked the lakes above Cora Lakes on the way to Isberg Pass.

But those are a longer hike...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Those lakes may be a bit far for my group. One of them has never backpacked before and the other is a fairly big guy. Though he is a trooper and did just fine for 5+ miles each way to and from Spanish. Not to mention both of them will be carrying mostly "camping" gear so theyll probably be a little heavy. Id like to keep day one under 10 miles including fishing detours.

It sounds like we can skip Stanford all together and maybe try one of the other nearby lakes for fishing and camp.

I figured we may end up stuck near people but in the past ive noticed fewer people on the weekend after the 4th, as if a lot of the dayhikers got it out of their system last weekend. One can only hope!

Thanks a lot for your input, its helpful!

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Vanderburgh Lk is a great first step. Best camping is on the trail side for that lake. Might even find piles of wood there. Fishing is ok, but it might be too hot by now. Go deep. Lillian at that point is just over the ridge.

I liked Rutherford as well. But we did it on Mules. ~210 a head, and worth it. all the hiking was then downhill.