Golden Trout Wilderness - rattlesnakes infestation - fact or

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Golden Trout Wilderness - rattlesnakes infestation - fact or

Post by richlong8 »

[quote=" But I've had four nasty encounters with rattlesnakes already this season up at my ranch between Visalia & Three Rivers - two of which involved my two dogs - BOTH were bit (The vet ![/quote]
I do not think that GTW is infested with rattlers. The lower elevations where your dogs got bit usually have more snakes. On a 2013 weekend trip to the Kern River in the GTW, at about 5000-6000', I did not see any, but normally, you might see 1-2 a day. The higher you go, the less likely you will run into a snake. I don't recall seeing one when I have been above 8000' in elevation. Plenty of nice fish in the Kern River though.....and sometimes you will see gopher snakes swimming in the water!
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

The unattractive feature of the Golden Trout Wilderness isn't rattlesnakes, it is the abuse caused by bovine grazing and the prodigious amount of cattle crap near and in waterways.
:soapbox:
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Rattlers have been documented as high as 11,000 feet in the sierra. They are more numerous around water sources where small critters are also numerous, tho.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
camptramp
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by camptramp »

Ska-T wrote:The unattractive feature of the Golden Trout Wilderness isn't rattlesnakes, it is the abuse caused by bovine grazing and the prodigious amount of cattle crap near and in waterways.
I don't know if this is the result, but I noticed the water in pools in the Little Kern River were somewhat brackish. Not crystal clear like I expected.

I did come upon a rattler - right next to water. This one was ingesting a meal - somewhere nearby was a 'roar' - I kid you not. The closer I got the louder it got. Made me wonder if these critters cover for each other while they are dining?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373594163.837066.jpg
Here's more photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yf8tyj7w80pwv55/j3IruFZRM9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camptramp
Topix Acquainted

Post by camptramp »

I can tell you I need to figure out how to lighten up. I can't haul all this stuff any more!
camptramp
Topix Acquainted

Post by camptramp »

camptramp wrote:
Ska-T wrote:The unattractive feature of the Golden Trout Wilderness isn't rattlesnakes, it is the abuse caused by bovine grazing and the prodigious amount of cattle crap near and in waterways.
Made me wonder if these critters cover for each other while they are dining?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373594163.837066.jpg
Here's more photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yf8tyj7w80pwv55/j3IruFZRM9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the snake world: "Hey Tony! I got me a rat! Time for me to chow down! Cover for me, will ya?"
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pretty sure rattlers are tasty and can be mixed into a fine pasta sauce. Just saying. you do need a fishing license to take a snake. Check your DFW regs accordingly.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I kind of like rattlers, mostly because I despise rodents, and find most snakes rather docile. They rattle to say 'hey I'm here, don't step on me'.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

they don't always rattle. i've stepped over two that didn't.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Nice photos!
camptramp wrote:I can tell you I need to figure out how to lighten up. I can't haul all this stuff any more!
I can see the utility of the ladder, easy to hang your bear bag, but regarding the hoe, were you removing non-native plants or doing trail maintenance? :D