3 day 2 night Eastern Sierra "highlight" type trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

3 day 2 night Eastern Sierra "highlight" type trip?

Post by maiathebee »

Hi everyone,

I got such great advice from maverick and others on here about my upcoming trip that I figured I'd ask another question.

We currently have planned a 2 night trip in the Mammoth Lakes area (Agnew - Thousand Island - Ediza - Reds) and decided since it's such a pain to get to the east side that we'd like to add another trip while we're there. This is where you wonderful people come in.

Q: What's the "best" bang-for-your-buck ~2 night trip on the eastern Sierra?

Details:

-We are a party of two, one experienced level 3 [me] and one backpacking newbie but experienced day-hiker who will get his spurs on the aforementioned hike days prior.
-Class 2 for off-trail is best for this trip.
-I love alpine lakes with dramatic granite and being on top of peaks for views for miles.
-We can comfortably do 10 mile days but would be willing to push it for 15 or so if it's worth it.

More specific details:

-I would prefer not to hike out of Onion Valley because I've done that so many times before.
-We don't want to add more days to our 2-nighter out of Agnew mainly because that will be my partner's first backpacking trip and two nights seems about right. I'd like for him to get a day of rest before we head out again. Thus we'd like a "fresh" 2-nighter somewhere else!
-Permit day will be the last Tuesday in July and we'll be lounging layover style on the 395 somewhere on Monday, so we should be able to get walk-in permits for pretty much anywhere.
-Bonus points if campsites are at lakes that have accessible ridges (Class 3) near them so I can explore (I wonder what I can see from up over there??!!) while he rests.

I searched the boards a bit and some people here suggested on previous threads hikes out of Lake Sabrina. That looks promising, but potentially crowded? We'd prefer less people if possible (especially since our first trip will likely be quite populated).

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 3 day 2 night Eastern Sierra "highlight" type trip?

Post by vitaminC »

Pioneer Basin? Went there a few years ago and it was great. Rain kept us from doing too much exploration, but your friend could easily hang out at a lake while you go exploring...

Trip photos: http://smu.gs/12ZEQQe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------------
Lots of photos
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Oh, that's a good idea! Looks like there are reservable permits for Little Lakes Valley, but not Pioneer Basin. I guess we will think about Pioneer Basin and see if we can get walk-in permits.

Poking around I found some amazing photos of the Convict Creek area and decided to put in permits for there because they are available. Not much distance, but it looks like we could easily set up a base camp at Lake Dorothy and explore neighboring colored peaks and passes.

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

McGee Creek (Red & White Mountain http://www.summitpost.org/southeast-face/162780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
and Big Pine which is easy access, but has numerous climbing opportunities like Temple
Crag, Mount Robinson all class 3.
Some others a little further south:
"The Thumb" from Birch Lake http://www.summitpost.org/southeast-slope/276194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , or
Split Mountain from Red Lake http://www.summitpost.org/north-slope-f ... ast/155680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LBCpacker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by LBCpacker »

The Big Pine North Fork trail is beautiful. Glacier fed lakes, views, and accessible peaks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi LBCpacker,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for your input. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
scottawr
Topix Novice

Post by scottawr »

just got back from a 2.5 day highlight trip @ north fork big pine, highly recommend if you haven't been. the trail was stunning and the mosquito conditions were great.

will be posting a trip report today.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

That would be exactly the right amount of time to explore all the parts of Sabrina Basin, one of my favorite destinations.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Oh goodness I just don't know what to do! I'm kinda leaning towards Convict because of the different "look" of it from where we will just have been, what with the minerals and all. Also a summit venture to Mt Baldwin with way cool calcite crystals seems is quite alluring... :cool:
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

North Forth Big Pine Creek. Camp at Third or Fifth Lake. Take him to Palisade Glacier on the layover day. (The upper reach of that trail will turn more cross-country.)