Just returned - Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Loop via White

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maytag
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Just returned - Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Loop via White

Post by maytag »

Amazing 5 day loop through the canyon; first night in Pate Valley where the conditions were hot but the river was perfect. Bugs minimal - snakes...none. Bear...one crossing the trail.
Second night at the base of Waterwheel Falls...lots pool dipping on the way to keep the body temp down. Amazing views, incredible experience. The climb through McGee Lake had a lot skeeter activity!
Third night at Polly "pond"...no energy to make it to the upper lake, enjoyed some down time and views. Climb up to Tuolumne Peak was buggy but the breeze provided some relief as did the amazing views. Take time to enjoy the views on the climb from T Peak to Ten Lakes they were stunning!
Forth night - stayed at the first of the 10 Lakes - seemed to have it all to ourselves - great rocky campsite above the trail in the breeze.
Overall trail conditions were great, not too many groups in the canyon, plenty of water. Put the loop on your list!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Just returned - Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Loop via White

Post by maverick »

Thanks Maytag for the informative TR, any pictures?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Just returned - Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Loop via White

Post by MountainMinstrel »

The amazing thing to me is that you did that loop in five days. when I did it, it took 9. Guess I'm just a wuss. But is was a great trip!
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.