Barrett Lakes via Bishop Pass, Thunderbolt Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
johnathanbrown
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Barrett Lakes via Bishop Pass, Thunderbolt Pass

Post by johnathanbrown »

Heading up there shortly, via a route similar to that linked below. Appreciate any reports on conditions over Thunderbolt Pass, and routefinding tips on either side of Thunderbolt Pass. Thanks!

http://beta.hillmap-hdr.appspot.com/m/a ... cBibvIMBDA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Barrett Lakes via Bishop Pass, Thunderbolt Pass

Post by maverick »

Hi JB,

Welcome to HST!
Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymphs photo's of the route: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/21 ... &k=tVx22XN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
johnathanbrown
Topix Newbie

Post by johnathanbrown »

Hi Maverick, thanks for the welcome, and pointer to Snow Nymph's page. Per the best practices I missed, here's some additional info to round out the post.

2 Level 4 backpackers, comfortable on Class 2, and limited/shorter Class 3 (we can do it fine, but don't want to be doing it all day). Some on trail Sierra experience, off trail experience elsewhere (Olympics, Escalante, Trinity Alps, etc).

Should be at trailhead by mid/late afternoon on a Wednesday, need to be out early-ish on Sunday. Thinking sleep near long lake first night. Then over Bishop Pass and Thunderbolt to Barrett Lakes the next day. Explore Palisade Basin for a day, maybe making out way to base of Knapsack Pass. Out over Knapsack Pass, then camp just over Bishop Pass on Saturday, hike out early Sunday. Alternately, we don't do an exploratory day in Palisade Basin, and head over to Dusy.

Thoughts? Biggest challenges I see are a) we're both coming from sea level, b) routefinding.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Hi JB,

Concerning your two questions:

(1) Long Lake is nearly 11000' elevation and you are from sea level. Plan accordingly.

(2) Provided the weather is not a disaster and you have a map, routefinding is easy. There are numerous outstanding landmarks (bring a camera) and no trees to obscure your view.

I might mention that July 2-4 (last week) I left provisions well secured in an appropriately marked blue sail bag in a bear box at the South Lake TH (next to the restroom) and they were vandalized (by a human, not a bear).

As a pure coincidence, in Snow Nymph's photos from August 10, 2006 I was one of those campers she noted just south of TB Pass. I was just resting that day (and enjoying the great views) at the highest water below the pass and am surprised I did not see her.

Enjoy your hike.

Jim F
johnathanbrown
Topix Newbie

Post by johnathanbrown »

Thanks Jim!