Ediza Lake - Got Permit

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SoxGolf00
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Ediza Lake - Got Permit

Post by SoxGolf00 »

Got my permit today for Ediza Lake trip end of September. Can't wait. Heard it is going to be a little colder than I was expecting but I should be good with gear to stay warm.

I looked at a Bear Vault this weekend at REI and it seemed awfully big for two people for two days. Are there smaller ones? There were also some ziploc type bags that claim to work the same. Will those work instead?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Ediza Lake - Got Permit

Post by balzaccom »

Hi there

There are two sizes of the Bearvault. The 450 is called the weekender, and we can get 2-3 days worth of food in it--that's for the two of us. And after we bought it, we then bought the 500, which is much larger, more expensive, but also holds enough food for the two of us for five days.

Ediza Lake is lovely...you will have a great time.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SoxGolf00
Topix Novice

Post by SoxGolf00 »

These are the bags that I was talking about. Does anyone know if the rangers will let this pass or if anyone has used them?

http://www.rei.com/product/758707/loksa ... s-20-x-125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Those bags are no replacement for a bear vault, and won't pass the ranger test. They will help prevent the attraction of bears to your camp by odor, but if a bear is nosing around your camp they will be attracted by the sight of a loose bag, and so the odor-barrier is not enough.

All that said, when I travel in areas where bear boxes are not required I used those bags for some measure of protection. I also admit that on the first night on a long trip I sometimes can't quite fit everything in my box, and then I use one of those bags. But it is a violation and to be minimized.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

OPsacks aren't odor proof, if y'ask me... when a critter can detect food in a sealed metal can, plastic that you've handled with the same hands you handled food don't stand a chance.

Bear canisters from the approved list are on Yosemite's website. Ediza isn't in Yosemite - but you should absolutely have the cans. The bears hit us TWICE one night just down the creek from there.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

While not at Ediza, I watched this fluffy brownie inspect four different campsites, one by one, sniffing at each bear box along the way, in broad daylight. If you meet up with the likes of him you will be glad you had a box.
IMGP1250.jpg

And congratulations on heading to Ediza, one of my favorite spots on the face of the globe.
IMGP1444.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

nice pics, kpeter.

Sox, just embrace the can. Help save a bear.