swimming lessons

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

swimming lessons

Post by rlown »

Just had the pleasure of teaching my 5 and 7 year old grandkids how to do the basics in swimming in the pool. Wow! Thought everyone just got taught as I did when I was 2 at the YMCA.

The Boy got it. The Girl not so much. Started with the "hold your breath" move. Then the dog paddle, then the tread water. Only a couple hours, but the boy won't panic anymore. Girl sinks like a stone.

A fun experience. Teach everyone to swim. I know for certain you can't press a spot from that position.

Russ
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: swimming lessons

Post by Herm »

Good for you Russ.

My learning to swim involved big brother and his friends tossing me in the pool like a beach ball, and saying "swim!" When I struggled, they were ready to help, but otherwise they let me figure it out. Now I want to go surfing.

Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.