Walking on Lake Edison

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Walking on Lake Edison

Post by OzSwaggie »

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has ever walked between the VVR ferry pickup point near Quail Meadows and the VVR by walking on the actual lakebed? Last year we walked around the lake on the trail, which gains and loses quite a bit of elevation and we found it quite arduous. It looked like the baked edge of the lake would be flatter and nicer.

Just in case the ferry is not running ,or we miss it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Walking on Lake Edison

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Walking on recently dried up lake beds is pretty nasty- mud, gnats, flies, ugh! I think I would rather do the elevation gains on the trail. I have also walked the trail twice and although it is long, I never found the elevation gains enough of a problem to make me want to walk the lake bed even if I could. I have never walked Lake Edison bed, but the few other small lake beds I have been on have not been nice.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Not sure where the Ferry pick up point is, but here's some shots from May 24th this year. Not much mud anywhere, sadly for the Jeep.

Dam.

The dam is to the right.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

That is the dam end of the lake. One time, when we returned from a trip to catch the boat, the lake as so low that they put a sign out that pointed the way to "walk down the lake". I recall it was not pleasant at all. We had to walk over a mile. The trail end of the lake does get muddy. The dam end has much more sand.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Hmmm, thanks for replies. The part where the jeep is playing looks OK for walking although picking through the rocks might by annoying. I'm actually thinking now that the lack of shade might be an issue too. A bit like walking in a desert... Might be an experience.

I'm thinking that the edge of the lake has been totally dry now for over a year as it did not fill up this year from last year's record low levels.... but is this not right? (Coming from a land where there's not much snow, I'm probably not factoring in melting snow... Does Lake Edison get covered with ice/snow in winter?

Cheers
Donna