Golden Trout Wilderness - rattlesnakes infestation - fact or

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
camptramp
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by camptramp »

Hello all - Although I may be a bit rusty in recent backpacking experience I am not a beginner. But I've had four nasty encounters with rattlesnakes already this season up at my ranch between Visalia & Three Rivers - two of which involved my two dogs - BOTH were bit (The vet bills have been astronomical). Well I don't wish to tempt fate - I am planning a trip through the Golden Trout Wilderness - & as I am reading in detail about the region it almost seems like it has more than the average number of rattlesnakes. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this area to tell me what to expect? (I WILL be hiking with high top boots & gaiters!)

On another note: there is NO such thing as a bullet proof dog - and before you allow a vet to administer drugs DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH to find out possible side affects!
jburning17
Topix Newbie

Re: Golden Trout Wilderness - rattlesnakes infestation - fact or

Post by jburning17 »

I can't say that I am an expert, but I was hiking in the GTW just two weeks ago.....and I saw the largest rattler there that I have personally seen. It never rattled, and just moved away....it wasn't looking to cause a problem. What I read is that most rattlesnake bites happen to younger males on their arms....and the bite victims have alcohol in them more often than not. The lesson is that giving them a wide birth will do the trick nearly all the time.

What did concern me about my encounter two weeks ago is that I saw it about 2 second after my wife walked right by it without seeing it. Those things will give your adrenal glands a workout!

BTW, I understand that snake training for dogs is very effective, and much cheaper than the vet.

Jon
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

Ive spent a fair bit of time in the GTW and haven't seen any more Rattlers there than anywhere else.

I don't really see any reason why they would be thicker there than other places that they live
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Have not heard or read about any infestation in GTW.
Interesting facts about them can be read here: http://www.ecosnake.com/?page_id=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
camptramp
Topix Acquainted

Post by camptramp »

Thanks much for your reports - much more reassuring ! If all goes according to plan, I'll head out Monday morning - as far & long as my bride, my back & my bunions will allow :)))
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

The Golden Trout Wilderness is a big place ranging in elevations as low as 4,500ft (near the Forks of the Kern) to high mountain lakes above 11,000ft (Cottonwood Lakes basin) and passes well above that. I was up in the Cottonwood Lakes basin just a few days ago and there were no snakes prowling the high country. I suspect there might be some in the lower elevations of the GTW but I was hiking around the Little Kern (in June) and the Forks of the Kern (in Sept) two years ago and never saw any.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Some years ago, in May out of Trout Meadows and down into the Kern, I came across a rattler so big that when it rattled, it sounded like a steam engine going berserk! I nearly jumped outta my boots. Surprised me. Gave it a wiiiiide berth. :eek:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
camptramp
Topix Acquainted

Post by camptramp »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Some years ago, in May out of Trout Meadows and down into the Kern, I came across a rattler so big that when it rattled, it sounded like a steam engine going berserk! I nearly jumped outta my boots. Surprised me. Gave it a wiiiiide berth. :eek:
Yikes! Well, call me silly looking if you want but along with my boots I'll be wearing a pair of "Tuff Shins" ... I wore them a few days ago while fishing the Tule River around Moses Gulch & gave me a measure of assurance while stepping around those rocks I called them 'shin-surance'
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

camptramp wrote:Yikes! Well, call me silly looking if you want but along with my boots I'll be wearing a pair of "Tuff Shins" ...
Cowboy boots evolved to look the way they do in part because of rattlesnakes. Rattlers usually strike around the ankles, so the cowboy boot was made to cover the area most likely to be hit by a rattler. (And the pointy toe was to make it easier to get the boot into the stirrup.)
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
camptramp
Topix Acquainted

Post by camptramp »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:
camptramp wrote:Yikes! Well, call me silly looking if you want but along with my boots I'll be wearing a pair of "Tuff Shins" ...
Cowboy boots evolved to look the way they do in part because of rattlesnakes. Rattlers usually strike around the ankles, so the cowboy boot was made to cover the area most likely to be hit by a rattler. (And the pointy toe was to make it easier to get the boot into the stirrup.)
& the heel for better stompin' on those critters, eh?