beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Post by kpeter »

Someone here suggested RV toilet paper to me a couple of years ago. I converted. Now, I just pour water and stir and the paper totally dissolves. Safer than burning and just as effective. I take a little soap to wash my hands and use a liter of water to rinse, letting the water and the biosuds become the dissolver of the TP before replacing the rock.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JosiahSpurr »

gdurkee wrote:Hmmmm. Way, way, way too much information here. Remind me not to shake hands with rcymbala.
Someone else was disturbed upon reading that my (former) practice was to clean the dirt (not excrement) off in a stream, so, now I bring wet-ones or baby-wipes with me mostly to get the dirt off since it can be irritating. Wiping with handfuls of dry dirt before using wet-ones still seems like a good practice since it means less xcrement on the wipes before they go into plastic bag for packing out.
Last edited by JosiahSpurr on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Post by Ross939 »

Just a quick question from a novice, here. ARE wet-ones and Baby wipes bio degradable, or do you need to pack them out?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Pack them out. They are much tougher than TP and would break down much more slowly. Oh, and if you take them, be sure to take the unscented varieties, unless you want to go chumming for bear.