Sierra High Route - Seeking Hiking Partners

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra High Route - Seeking Hiking Partners

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

I'm planning on thru-hiking the Sierra High Route starting approximately the 18th of July.

I'm a very fit 26 year-old backpacker with many week-long trips under my belt, but this will be my first trip long enough to need resupplies. My cross-country experience includes a week solo in Denali National Park, and a variety of scrambles in the Sierra.

I'm shooting for ~12 miles per day, along with some peakbagging. I'm aiming to complete the trip in ~20 days. Partners would be welcome for all of the trip, but if you've got less time than me, a partner for the first week or two would still be swell.
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra High Route - Seeking Hiking Partners

Post by DavePloessel »

Welcome to HST Michael!

Where are your from? Your name sounds really familiar to me.

Do you have a rough itinerary planned out yet you could share?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Michael,

Welcome to HST! Would really enjoy reading some of your TR's, Sierra and/or Denali.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

Dave - I grew up in Columbus and live in Cleveland (but only for another month or so). My itinerary is still a little in flux, because I have nothing but free time on either side of this trip and can move start/end dates around to accommodate others if necessary.

Maverick - I'd love to share, if I had anything in an organized TR format. I've just never been the type to do much more than upload my best shots to Facebook to make all of my friends jealous. My Denali trip in particular probably has the lowest ratio of days hike to photos taken of any trip I've ever done because I spent most of it in sideways rain, hailstorms, and fog. It kinda sucked. I've got loads of free time next week and you might've just guilted me into posting some of my best Alaska shots to the proper place on here. I lived up there for most of 2010 and got to go all over the State working with the USFS, NPS, and DOT via a state Americorps program.
michaelc
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by michaelc »

Hello,

Are you still planning on doing this trip? I think I might be interested in joining you. I was thinking I'd do the trip solo, but after recently doing a yo-yo of the High Sierra Trail solo, I think I'd prefer to go with other people. Has anyone else expressed interest?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Michaelc,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org