NOBOS at Sonora Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

NOBOS at Sonora Pass

Post by balzaccom »

During our last hike at Sonora Pass, one thing was clear: PCT NOBOs are supposed to get to Sonora Pass by the end of June.

(For those of you unfamiliar with the terminology, those people hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in its entirety, from Mexico to Canada--North Bound--are NOBOs.)

We met at least ten of these hikers on the few miles of trail we hiked on June 30th, and they were all right on schedule. They were also young, friendly, and seemed to be having a great time. They were also really looking forward to the food (and showers) they were expecting at Sonora Pass.

The section they had just completed was a long one, from Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass, and the next few stages will be much shorter and easier. At least one of the next stages, from Carson Pass to Echo Summit, can easily be done as a day hike.

It was fun to see them on the trail. Here's hoping that they all make it!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: NOBOS at Sonora Pass

Post by Rockchucker »

There have been a ton in Bishop resupplying.
I'm no suture for my future.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

We had several, as usual, in our Independence parade this morning. They really bring the cheers!
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

We met a group at TM a few weeks ago from REI Boulder. They were nice indeed. I commented to my partner that they were people I wouldn't mind spending time with hiking. Not that they'd want to hike with me!
elena
Topix Newbie

Post by elena »

We were at Rae Lakes on 6/18-6/19 and met about 100 of them in 2 days! They said that from 700 to 1000 people have started PCT this year. For those we met, the starting dates were between 4/24 and 5/9.