Favorite Purchase

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Purchase

Post by Flux »

Marmot Helium bag. Changed my life. I used to wing it with a cheap synth bag and was always cold. I paired that up with a large size thermarest Xlite and I now sleep very very well. Never underestimate the effects of a good night's sleep in the backcountry. I spent too many dawn hours tossing and turning and waiting for the sun to come up so I could end the misery.

I toiled back and forth between the WM versalite and the Helium, but the helium went on sale and it was a no brainer from there.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Close tie...

Osprey Aether 70 pack. Plenty of space, two ice axe loops, and most importantly, very comfortable.
Grivel G10 crampons. These opened up a whole new world to me. They are easy to mount to ones boots, have very effective anti-balling devices, and with optional 'long bars' can be modified to fit a size 13.5 boot. I just upgraded to a new pair of G12s.
Flux wrote:Marmot Helium bag.
I recently got one... love it, so far. :D
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by venturefar »

Dr. Shade glacier glove sun gloves. Protect your hands from sun, bugs, abrasion, and wind burn, You can even tie fishing knots wearing them. Best $15 ever spent.
@aguabonita
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Ditto WM bag!
When I feel really really crappy sick, I put mine on the couch and crawl in.....ah, comfort "food."
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

Montbell "Alpine Light" down jacket. Simply awesome in every way. Light, warm, wind proof, compresses down to teh size of a 32oz Nalgene or even smaller. It feels like a "hug"!

Some of my hiking buddies laughed at me the first time a broke it out a few years back (although it might have been because of the "thyme" = funky light green color; on sale!), but they have since all purchased one or something similar.

It reminds me of the first time I broke out an LED headlamp a decade +/- ago. Again, I got some looks, but these are obviously standard issue these days.

The only new peice of gear I bought this season is a Snow Peak LiteMax stove; part titanium and a reported 1.9oz. It folds up amazingly small. It just finished its maiden voyage last weekend, performing quite well. It even did a great job sautéing fish in a 7 " pan despite the small burner size.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Sierra cup, all 7 of them.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

Post by Silverfox »

As I mature, sleep is a premium, my insulated Q-core air mattress is a godsend, slept like a teenager, well almost. Also, picked up a 2P Marmot Limelight Tent at REI Used Gear sale, looks brand new for $65.

Silverfox

P.S. Agree with others not to fill air mattress all the way, conforms to body better.