HST Community      Favorite Purchase

Favorite Purchase | High Sierra Topix  

Favorite Purchase

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Re: Favorite Purchase

Postby Flux » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Marmot Helium bag. Changed my life. I used to wing it with a cheap synth bag and was always cold. I paired that up with a large size thermarest Xlite and I now sleep very very well. Never underestimate the effects of a good night's sleep in the backcountry. I spent too many dawn hours tossing and turning and waiting for the sun to come up so I could end the misery.

I toiled back and forth between the WM versalite and the Helium, but the helium went on sale and it was a no brainer from there.

Flux
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby artrock23 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Close tie...

Osprey Aether 70 pack. Plenty of space, two ice axe loops, and most importantly, very comfortable.
Grivel G10 crampons. These opened up a whole new world to me. They are easy to mount to ones boots, have very effective anti-balling devices, and with optional 'long bars' can be modified to fit a size 13.5 boot. I just upgraded to a new pair of G12s.

Flux wrote:Marmot Helium bag.

I recently got one... love it, so far. :D
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Postby venturefar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 am

Dr. Shade glacier glove sun gloves. Protect your hands from sun, bugs, abrasion, and wind burn, You can even tie fishing knots wearing them. Best $15 ever spent.
venturefar
Topix Regular

Postby ndwoods » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Ditto WM bag!
When I feel really really crappy sick, I put mine on the couch and crawl in.....ah, comfort "food."
ndwoods
Founding Member

Postby cvr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 am

Montbell "Alpine Light" down jacket. Simply awesome in every way. Light, warm, wind proof, compresses down to teh size of a 32oz Nalgene or even smaller. It feels like a "hug"!

Some of my hiking buddies laughed at me the first time a broke it out a few years back (although it might have been because of the "thyme" = funky light green color; on sale!), but they have since all purchased one or something similar.

It reminds me of the first time I broke out an LED headlamp a decade +/- ago. Again, I got some looks, but these are obviously standard issue these days.

The only new peice of gear I bought this season is a Snow Peak LiteMax stove; part titanium and a reported 1.9oz. It folds up amazingly small. It just finished its maiden voyage last weekend, performing quite well. It even did a great job sautéing fish in a 7 " pan despite the small burner size.
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Postby Jimr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Sierra cup, all 7 of them.
Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead, let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?
--Rumi
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Silverfox » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 pm

As I mature, sleep is a premium, my insulated Q-core air mattress is a godsend, slept like a teenager, well almost. Also, picked up a 2P Marmot Limelight Tent at REI Used Gear sale, looks brand new for $65.

Silverfox

P.S. Agree with others not to fill air mattress all the way, conforms to body better.
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

Previous

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix